THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    HELP! MY WIN 70's ACTION WONT COME OUTA THE STOCK!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! MY WIN 70's ACTION WONT COME OUTA THE STOCK!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a winchester model 70 featherweight in 300 wsm and the barrel action is stuck in the stock. Is it glued or something?It is not bedded it is brand new. How do you get it out to clean it? It is a walnut stock. Any special way to get it out with out using a crow bar?thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Classics are bedded with a hot glue bedding. It is stuck. If you are going to re bed the gun then take bottom metal off of the gun, take the for end or front screw and screw it partially into the for end screw hole and take a non marring hammer and firmly but not dynamically hit the screw to knock it off of the bedding. The factory bedding may be ruined but that is OK if you intend to re-bed it any way.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a freezer that will acomodate your rifle, you could also try freezing it overnight. It should then come out fairly easy by holding the rifle barrel and tapping the butt of the stock against a carpeted floor.

That should save your bedding, I've heard that Winchesters newer Classics are actualy bedded as apposed to the squirt of hot glue they used to get.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the deep freeze theory. Always the first thing I do if this occurs, seldom fails. Adjust the temp. as low as you can. It works on nearly all "glues", regardless of composition.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my stainless featherweight classic. I took some 12 pound test monofiliment fishing line, ran it under the barrel and holding both ends worked it through the bedding material that resembles silicon.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can also remove the screws and whack the barrel on the bench just ahead of the end of the stock. this has worked for me on a few stubborn rifles.........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer's technique is the one I tried on the last rifle I bedded. I ended up with an action still stuck in the stock and a two piece stock.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remove all action screws. (There are three.) Take a brass drift and place it in the forearm screw hole and tap it with a mallet. You might have to switch from the forearm screw hole to the tang hole back and forth. If you're really lucky, that crappy hot glue won't break up resuslting in your needing to glass bed, but you never know what that stuff will do. Anyway, that's how I pull a glass or hot glue bedded rifle out of a stock.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bee, that sucks! never had that problem. thank goodness. it always pops out when all else fails. i tried the freezer thing for 3 days and no luck. smith gave me this advise. it worked.
note to all.................. use caution
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer, that method (rapping over the back of an easy chair) has always worked for me before. As it always happens, I got in a hurry with my set up and, of course, I had done it many times before sooooooooooooo what could go wrong with an old hand like me.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a sure fire way.
Take a long box like the one the rifle came in and about 4 pounds of dry ice. Crush up the dry ice and fill the box 1/2 full. Now with the 3 action screws out of the gun, place the whold rifle into the box so the dry ice will cover it up pretty well. Let it stand for about 20 minuts in the dry ice and then take it out with thick leather golves and turn it upside down. Hit the barrel on the underside near the forend tip with a hammer handle. It will drop right out.

Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I tried something simpler. left the gun in the sun for 20 min and it popped out with little effort.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I agree with the freezing recommendations. Another thing you can do is remove the bottom metal, and use a Micarta block and a hammer. ( my block is 2x 7/8 ) Set the block in the well tight to the front and give it a tap. Hardwood would work, as would some plactics designed for impact. I use this as a last resort. It's better than cutting the stock away!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to here it, maybe a seasonal thing but thinking outside the box never hurts ! Since you now have the stock seperated, I am curious as to what type of bedding job your rifle recieved. Would you care to describe?

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote