Find
Notify
Tools

Coating barrels for using MOLY?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Been talking to another rifle shooter today, and they brought up something that they had heard that you must do when shooting MOLY.

This is using a coating on the interior of your barrel so that moly works properly. I have been using moly for a bit and have never used a coating substance before?

Please whats it all about, notice Lyman offer such a substance.

Should I be using it or be worried that I am not? I use moly in stainless and 'normal' barrels!

Thanks!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Moly users that I know are only treating their bbls. with a spray on Moly, after they clean thorughly. Seems as though recoating the clean bbl. with Moly helps in maintaining first shot accuracy.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off you start with a totally clean dry barrel.

Then you take a Patch(I prefer a HEAVY Paper Shop Towel) on a Jag and Form it to the Bore by putting it in the barrel. At this point you have two options:

1. Dust Moly Powder on the Patch and start it in the barrel. Add just a bit more Powder down the muzzle and "Burnish" the Moly onto the clean steel with 20 strokes or so.

2. Lightly coat the Patch with Moly Grease, then dust on the Moly and same as above.

I use the second Method, but the idea is to get a coating of Moly burnished onto the Bore before the first shot is ever fired.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a jar of the lyman moly paste that could be had for a very reasonable price. If you want to try it. Lets say 12.50 shipped to you. Used very little of it. I would say it is 95 percent full.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have what is called moly bore prep. It's sold by Midway for use with bullets prepared with their,(actually frankfort arsenal), tumbler/moly kit. The idea is that just coating the bullets with powdered moly, it takes a certain number of rounds down the barrel to establish an even coating of moly in the rifling. Using the bore prep pre-coats the barrel, the results are almost immediate. It also eliminates the possibility of copper fouling being mixed with the enitial coating if done by firing only coated bullets. The bore-prep is fine moly suspended in an oil base, put on a patch and worked back and forth ten times, then repeated. It "seamed" to work well in the rifles that I used moly in. Don't know if Midway still sells it, that was ten years ago!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote