Find
Notify
Tools

32-20 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there,
Haven't posted in a while. Got a few questions for you on the 32-20wcf.
I'm knocking up some loads for a mate in his 100+ year old single shot rifle and have got a couple of bullets to choose from.
They are :
Sierra JHC 90 grain #8030
Hornady XTP 100 grain #32070
Powder wise, I've got H110, Bluedot, 2400 and Lil'gun to hand.
Thing is, his barrel's been slugged and comes in at .3085 so is using .312 jacketed bullets going to push pressure through the roof?
I've loaded 3 and 4 thou over in pistol ammo before (when we had pistols in this 3rd world country) with no problems but they were all modern firearms.
Anything .308 cal will just rattle down the barrel so with start loads and over size bullets am I in "blow up gun" territory?
Cheers

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Conventional jacketed lead core bullets will swage down to bore size with little resistance and won't raise pressures significantly, particularly in this relatively low-pressure round.

On the other hand, a .3085 grove diameter will likely shoot regular .308" bullets just fine. I used to shoot a lot of .308 bullets made for the .30 Carbine in an old Colt .32-20 pistol, and although accuracy was nothing to write home about, it was equal to any other bullet in the old sister.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stonecreek,
Thanks for the info. I'm debating on a start load of 7 grains of Lil'Gun with the 90 grainers to start and go up in tenth's to see how it behaves.
Cheers

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haggis, if you are interested I have a good reloading article on the 32-20 send me a PM with your e-mail add and I'll send it your way.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel may be soft, to make it last stick to lead bullets.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 if the owner wants to shoot it much. OTOH if he just wants to fire it a bit to say he did it, then light loads with jacketed bullets should do. IMO the thin-jacketed .312" bullets may be less damaging than .308" rifle bullets.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input chaps and the relaoding data Zephyr.
Found out a little more info on the gun. Apparently it's been rebarreled in the not so distant past and the seller advised my mate that it would stand up to full on modern loads. That may be but the action is still older than my great great grand parents so I'll opt for soft loads and work up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look a Hawk Bullets in NJ they make a traditional copper jacketed bullet it's the bullet that I used to turn arounds a 32-40 that was key holing everything I put through it

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes an XTP that is listed as .309, 90 grains I believe.
I've used it in a 30 Carbine, might do you some good.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that bore you might try the Sierra .308 110 jhp. I use them in my s.s. pistol and they shoot great.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman mold 311008. Slug your bore and size 2 thou over using #2 metal and SPG lube. It will shoot well and your barrel will thank you. They will kill anything you would shoot with a 32-20 just as well as a bore wearing jacketed bullet.
If your bore needs a gas check look for Lyman 311316GC (discontinued) as it is also an excellent 32-20 bullet.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing at all wrong with using cast lead bullets. But you'll never wear the bore of a modern steel barrel out with copper jackets, either. At least not with the pressures and the amount of powder that are appropriate to a .32-20.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quick update, we tried a test batch with the sierra JHP and Lil'Gun and the rifle settled on 15.8 grains worth. Not the hottest on the planet but grouped very well indeed.
Once again, thanks for all the help fellas and a belated Merry Christmas!