THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Brass build up inside dies and on neck sizing buttons

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass build up inside dies and on neck sizing buttons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted
I noticed I was getting marks on the necks of some 30-06 brass I was FLSing. The marks are not deep when I looked at the neck sizing button in the sunlight I can see streaks of brass How do people clean the brass off the inside of their dies and their neck sizing buttons?
The die was second hand die.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use some copper eliminator as from Hoppe's. As it take out copper from the barrel, it could also remove copper from your dies. These stuff are pretty safe if used as instructed. You may also use a copper brush after stoftening it with the copper eliminator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried some butch's boreshine which seemed to take about half the deposit away. I did not feel confident to "go in harder" and leave it in longer.
I'll give the Hoppes copper solvent a go.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what copper cleaning products are available down under but if you can get some PatchOut your worries are over. No chance of hurting you dies, button OR barrel.

Butches, Shooters Choice, TM, Montana Extreme, Hoppe's etc...most of todays non-ammonia copper cleaning products can be safely left in/on steel as the formulation is designed to chemically combine with the copper/brass and not react with steel...READ THE FINE PRINT FIRST.

Get a Sinclair Int catalog...all the good products are in it.

Chuck the button in a drill motor and POLISH it with 600-1200 wet/dry sandpaper, use Imperial was on a caliber sized brush on the inside of the case neck and outside of the case and you will pretty much eliminate any problems with brass transfer.

Better yet, use FL bushing type dies and get rid of that mangy button and use the nitride coated bushing.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Get a small piece of a coppper brillo pad and knock that stuff out of there. You will not hurt those hardened steel dies with copper wool.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a go with scotch brite scourer and hoppes copper solvent. It worked well.
Thanks for the heads up..

Regards,
Bob.