Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Start Up
 Login/Join

posted
I’m trying to get into reloading but recently found out my wife is pregnant with twins (numbers 3 and 4) so money will be extremely tight to nonexistent. So I am trying to figure out the bare minimum I need to start. I will eventually be reloading for .45 ACP, .454, .270, and .300. In order to keep cost down I’ll just be loading .45 ACP to start. I currently reload shotshells so I have a scale and powder. I also have the The ABC's of Reloading and Speer Manual #13. From what I’ve read so far, I do not have to trim most handgun brass or lube, therefore I do not need calipers, cartridge gauge, lube, trimmer, debarring, chamfer tools etc. (thus keeping initial cost down). In addition to what I have listed below, what do you guys recommend?

Press
Dies
Powder measure/dispenser
Primer Pocket Brush
Loading block
Brass
Bullets

Thanks, Jason

... because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;...

-Robert Traver (John Voelker)

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget,

Thanks for the limks.

... because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;...

-Robert Traver (John Voelker)

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and RCBS Accessory Kit.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You still need calipers to set your COL. The COL can be critical for feeding in some instances. The 45acp isn`t a case that stretchs though so trimming as you know is pretty much not an issue.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having just started reloading myself I will chime in with what little I know.
The Lee classic kit is a good way to get started on the cheap. The stuff may last you a lifetime and Lee has a lot of fans.
Personally I am not one of them overall. Altho they do make good dies.
If you are kinda picky about your tools in general I would really recommend the RCBS Rockchucker kit that has already been suggested. You will be letting your grandkids reload on that thing.
I held out till I could get the RCBS kit and lucked up on finding and entire reloading setup from a lady whose husband had died. I got about $1000 worth of stuff for less than $300. (she set the price I didnt)
Keep a watch on the papers and you may luck up on a good used set of equipment.
Good luck and let us know what you do.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I would recommend the Lee aniversary kit.

It's only around 70 bucks and gives you everything you need besides dies, powder, brass, and primers.

Their will be those that say Lee is crap but, the fact is everything in this kit is plenty good enough to give you several years of quality loads. You said your out to save money and that kit will definitely do that for you and give you quality ammo.

W/ it and your dies for one cart, you'll be set for less than 100 bucks.

In a couple of years when things get better, you could start adding to your collection by buying a Lee Classic Cast or a RCBS Rockchucker, a better scale, more dies, etc, etc

I have a cheap little Lee press that I carry w/ me on travel sometimes, the same one in that Lee aniversary kit the Challenger. I've loaded 1000s of rounds on it and it's still in great shape and serves the purpose.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote