New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 K-Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where can I get reloading dies? What brand is better? (I've got a regular Hornet and reloading is pretty straightforward. Is there anything special/different with the "K" version?) Recommeddations?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'll use spell check next posting.

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Obviously it is improved so you need different dies. I like my Reddings, they are noticeably smoother than my other brands, but I do have a pretty limited experience with reloading.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the response. I could not find any in my Sinclair catalog (the first place I usually look) but they are in Midway's catalog. The Redding 3 die set appears to be the most expensive but the full lenght and separate neck sizing dies may be worth it. Think I'll post a wanted sign in the classified post here on A/R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you won't need a 3 die set. the k is very easy to load for. i like reddings to, but i'm not going to pay a bunch more for them than i would for rcbs. the k hornet is a blown out version that makes a much better round. simple to form, just fire a hornet round and out comes a k. with lil gun and a 40 gr nosler i get almost 3400 fps from it

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lee Collet dies for most of my reloading. I took a collet sizer die and ran the proper size drill bit into the collet just enough to clear the wider shoulder of the K-version. It now sizes both the regular and the K-Hornet quite nicely. The seater die works on both without modification. This will be the cheapest way (and perhaps the most satisfactory way) to load your K-Hornet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote