THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    do people load from internet loads and get top accuracy?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do people load from internet loads and get top accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've often wondered this because of the constant reminders we see in reloading manuals and on the internet reloading sites. That reminder is if we change just one variable in our accurate handloads, such as powder charge, a different bullet in the same weight and caliber, a different case or even a different primer, then we stand a good chance of altering our favorite, consistent load. We also know that a load which shoots very well in my rifle, may shoot crappy in someone else's rifle. Yet, time after time we see people posting here, in 24-hourcampfire.com, huntamerica.com, graybeardoutdoors.com and many other sites, asking what is our favorite load for a certain caliber. Are these folks asking to try that same load in their rifle without working up the load, or are they just mildly interested?

I know every time I see something posted about the 7z57mm Mauser, I'm all over it and sometimes get right in the middle of it too. I do the same for .223 Remingtons.

I do know that the same load that are accurate in one rifle, will not be just as accurate in another rifle. For example, my little brother owns a CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm. A friend of his in El Paso, also owns a CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. It has an extraordinary level of accuracy with the Hornady SST. My brother's rifle, which is a copy of mine but with a shorter barrel, does not like them as well. His friend's 7x57mm, a copy of Duffy's rifle, likes the SST, not nearly as well as mine, but the acceptability is evident.

So, for those asking for loads from others, do you take those loads, load up some cartridges, shoot your rifle a few times with it and that's good enough?

Jeeze, here I go off rambling and that was something I did not want to do. I have started this post a good 20 times, then erased it at the last moment, but this time I think I'll let it stand. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Tom, you spent some time trying to ask a valid and often repeated question. To just take another party's load off a posting is not a great idea, unless in your experience you have worked with that powder, primer, bullet, case and rifle type previousily. I would at all times check several sources to determine if the load is even reasonable to begin with. I myself have several loads which I consider to be versitile for caliber, meaning they should work in most anybody's gun. I really like the powder IMR 4064 in several cartridges, but your barrel might not like this powder, then what? Some cartridges like the .308 Winchester are pretty forgiving in most situations as well. I think that barring a load which is just plain off, a "internet recomended load" which you work up to may behave well in your rifle. The real catch is working up to, and sometimes beyond the recomended load to suit your individual rifle. Consider the variations in throating, bore dimensions and action stiffness as just a few of the variables which cannot be cloned. So what I am getting at is that if your rifle likes my or someone elses exact load, it's a fluke!

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I'm researching a load I like to compare as many different resources as possible. I have several reloading manuals, I may look at data from magazines, Ken Waters, annual manuals, powder company websites and even Internet "pet loads". I like to make a chart of top loads for a given bullet weight, and maybe make a note of favored loads and powders.
Usually you will see a trend in the data. If one source has a load listed several grain higer or lower discount it. But usually you'll see a few good places to start if you compare enough data.
Obviously some calibers there's not as much info on but you still should compare as many different resources as possible. I tend to give internet "pet loads" more or less weight according to who gave them..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
If someone online developes a claimed high accuracy load I may use the components named and develope a load for my rifle if my reference books don't contradict the posters data.
I don't assume that the load they posted will work in my rifle but do my load development from scratch.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
I've often wondered this because of the constant reminders we see in reloading manuals and on the internet reloading sites. That reminder is if we change just one variable in our accurate handloads, such as powder charge, a different bullet in the same weight and caliber, a different case or even a different primer, then we stand a good chance of altering our favorite, consistent load. We also know that a load which shoots very well in my rifle, may shoot crappy in someone else's rifle. Yet, time after time we see people posting here, in 24-hourcampfire.com, huntamerica.com, graybeardoutdoors.com and many other sites, asking what is our favorite load for a certain caliber. Are these folks asking to try that same load in their rifle without working up the load, or are they just mildly interested?...
Hey Tom, Congratulations, you have reached a mature level of concern for the Rookies and Beginners SAFETY. I encourage you to add the normal "Develop from below" anytime you respond to one of those questions.

I'd also say it depends on the Reloading "knowledge level" of the person asking for information. When I got my 444Mar, I asked folks, "What Powder shoots best for you in yours? I'm not interested in a specific Load, just which Powder you have the best performance with." I still got specific Load recommendations, but I know better than to just stick one in "my" firearms without actually developing it from below.

One of the people that used to be a severe detriment this Board was rookie green788. He knows so little about Reloading that he used to tell folks they could just load xx.xgr of IMR-43xx behind ANY xxxgr Bullet and it would provide the very best accuracy at the highest velocity. And he basterdized the never improved upon Creighton Audette Load Development Method into what he refered to as "his" ocw method(in reality a fiasco).

Fortunately for all the Beginners and Rookies, rookie green788 was laughed off this Board for his lack of knowledge and how unSafe his recommendations were.
---

I hope a lot of the Beginners actually read this thread and it has an impact on them.

Thank you Tom.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If I am looking at recommenations for loads on the web - or anywhere else really - I note the powder and bullet most commonly used in others "accurate" loads. These may or may not be the best but if they seem to make the most people happy, it is likely they are a good place to start searching for my rifle. I don`t care what charge weight others list as I will work up to my own.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few loads that are close to universal for shooting well. RL15 and 4064 in .375 H&H, H4831 and a 130 in .270, RL19 with a 210-225 .338 WM, H414 in 7x57 and .220 Swift. While these are the first you may try, they may not work in particular rifles, but are quite good in almost all. As a matter of fact I cannot recall a .270 that wouldn't group 1MOA with 59-60 H4831 and a 130 Sierra, but I'm sure someone has one. Likewise 25-26 H335 in a .223 with 50-55 grain bullet. It may not be the ultimate, but they are still the first I would load. Another is 104 H4831 with a 400 grain in .416 Rigby.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look at loads recommended by others on this and other Web sites, and combined with the books I use, try to find powder/bullet weight variations that seem to work for most. I start with loads near the lower level, and work up from there, usually in .5gr increments, five rounds each. I use printed targets with the load written on each one, and take the best group, if there is one, watching for pressure signs. What I usually get are flattened primers with higher loads, and in my .223 single-shot the cases start to stick; then I know I'm as high as I dare to go.

Then take the load from the best group and go .1gr up and down and see whether there's much variation from there. Once I've found a load that seems consistent, I try varying the OAL to see whether that helps, and by that time I figure I've got something I can rely on.

I haven't loaded for that many rifles; .223 & .30-06 mostly, but just below max listed by the books seems to be the most accurate. On sites like www.reloadersnest.com, I've found a lot of loads, but quite a few of them exceed the maximum reommended values considerably, and without a chrony I'm reluctant venture into those regions. There's a ton of information on this forum; just keep asking questions -- chances are someone has run into the same issues you may have.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I never ask for the pet loads of others and I seldom give one out as the internet is so full of bullshit that anyone that loads to anothers "so called" pet loads is a fool.

However I do watch the powders recommended and the bullets recommended. It's through this that I discovered Northforks and I love them.

I have some fabulous loads for the 223 and read someone here a year or so ago that said the powder I used was wrong and didn't give velocities and the accuracy was bad. That man may be stating his opinion and experiences but regardless he was still full of it!!!!

I think one must read a lot of opinions before accepting internet data. I don't believe folks lie here, but they may post results that are not correct for many understandable reasons.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any loads I see on these reloading forums that interest me I’ll pursue. I take them with a grain of salt. Before I attempt to use them I’ll cross reference them to loads in other manuals. Then I’ll drop back to what I consider a safe starting point and work towards the load. I stop at the first signs of pressure. I usually try to give my source when I list a load on the forum or confirm the source of loads others have listed. Most of the time I use my chronograph when I’m working up new loads. Most of the time when a load sounds to good to be true it is but once and while you get a pleasant surprise. But I'm not going to risk mine or someone elses safety.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote