THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    how much bullet tension do you need in a semi auto rifle

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how much bullet tension do you need in a semi auto rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Benelli 338 Winchester Magnum rifle
what tension should there be on the bullet
I am asking because my bullet creep forward by .0010 when it chambers my cartridge
so usually the say .0002 so should I put more 3. 4. 5. 6 thousand
thank you

Canuck

Posts: 122 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
60 pounds of pulling force.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand you answer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canuck4570:
I have a Benelli 338 Winchester Magnum rifle
what tension should there be on the bullet
I am asking because my bullet creep forward by .0010 when it chambers my cartridge
so usually the say .0002 so should I put more 3. 4. 5. 6 thousand
thank you

Canuck

I crimp every thing I load with Lee Factory Crimp Die they don't move. & 1 or 2 ten thousandths wont make any diff.

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This has to be a joke; you say your bullets move TWO TEN thousandths forward when chambering?? that is .0002.
How do you measure that? Bullet ogives are not that uniform anyway.
And neither is brass trimming.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
read I say up to 10 thousand
and how I found out is when I loaded the round and did not fire it and took it out the OAL had grown by 10 thousand
I had one that jam in the rifling after doing it twice
the quick forward motion of the action must act like a kinectic bullet remover

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, you said it creeps up to One thousandth and you also said "so usually the say .0002" (which is two ten thousandths), which is like a gnat's eye lash. I don't know of any reloader who can measure in ten thousandths.)
So, you have your numbers wrong; however, your words are now decipherable; ten thousandths is too much. Get or make, a smaller expander plug and that will solve your problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or... take the expander plug off...and try that.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one zero to many
I just took off the expander and to my surprise the die only neck it down to .337
guess its a defective die
tried same thing on a 30-06 die and its .008 smaller
will check with RCBS about it

thanks .....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the neck is taken down to .001 under bullet size (on the outside by micrometer) you have way more neck tension there from brass neck thickness than you can possibly seat the bullet with.

0.001-0.002 tension has been more than enough for me most of the time. If I want more, I crimp the case for autoloaders, automatics, or lever guns.

I also crimp on my big bore guns with a lot of recoil.

So if you are having bullets move when they cycle through the action, and you have a couple thousandths tension, crimp them.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
will be trying all the above this morning and will give result

thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimp your reloads in any automatic rifle larger rimfires..I like the taper crimp die, but not concerned with a factory crimp that comes with most dies, just don't over due it.

On a double rifle or single shot, I tend to turn about a thousand or two off the expander ball use a powder that fills the case and ever so light a crimp..Never have had a problem with that approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
read I say up to 10 thousandand how I found out is when I loaded the round and did not fire it and took it out the OAL had grown by 10 thousand I had one that jam in the rifling after doing it twicethe quick forward motion of the action must act like a kinectic bullet remover

You need to move from tensions to bullet hold. The bullet that slid out was caused by the sudden stop.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Redding die
result still creep out after 3 to 4 cycling
I did with a Lyman M die at 336 ID neck
tried it with the expander plug 334. ID neck
tried it with no expander at 331. ID neck
and the bullet did the same on all of them. 2 to 3 thousand creep
and this is after cleaning the cases with ultrasonic
so the mystery remains.....

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why are you cycling them 3 or 4 times??? When shooting them, don't they just go in once? I think you might be inducing a non existent problem into the system. How much do they creep with One cycle? I might not be a mystery at all. They are not asphalt sealed, heavily crimped, military ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I’ve caught on with what you are describing...

As an aside if the OAL is increasing, you are not entering an unsafe situation (which can be the case if your OAL is shortening.

With a heavy spring, you are in effect trying to pull the bullet with an impact bullet puller every time you cycle it through the rifle.

Repeated load/unload will do this. I don’t know of any round that you cannot pull the bullet with an impact bullet puller given repeat strikes.

Your test is the problem. If it moves 1-2 thousandths with one cycle, it’s not a problem. That is the nature of self loading guns.

The answer is “don’t do that” - meaning repeat load/unload cycles with the same round.

Handgun bullets do this over time in police weapons- it’s why you are supposed to not use the same round all the time and switch ammo.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you said it a self loader prblem
I will live with it