New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot and Accuracy Potential
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the range this afternoon and was load testing some loads for a 243 Winchester that has just been a problem child from day one. I am waiting just to shoot out the barrel and then rebarrel it to something else. I just probably just rebarrel it and quit bitching about the current factory barrel, but then that would be too easy and no challenge at all.

Well, I have a batch of 80 grain SPs and also 75 grain Hornady HPs. My magical volume load in the 243, is 22.5 grains regardless of bullet weight.

I had never tried it in this rifle however so I loaded up 20 rounds to see what happens.

Well a rifle that likes to shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 50 yds, and 100 yds with any factory ammo, shot several ONE HOLE groups in three shot strings with 22.5 grains of Blue Dot and an 80 grain Winchester SP!

Several of my problem child rifles have proven to really like Blue Dot. Then I see SDSlingers post as soon as I log on. Rained on that parade.

But after reading the thread on the other forum, the gentleman did not blame it on the powder in a lower posting. Also wondering was he wearing any eye protection at all???

So if accuracy ain't what she should be in a rifle, try some Blue Dot loads. Anyone needing some load data, drop me an email.

Cheers and Good shooting ( and don't blow up your weapon)
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When you are building bd load what do for COL. Are you close to the lands, further away or do you build it to what the gun normally likes with regular loads.

posted Hide Post
Aulrich,
actually, I usually just set the seating die to a depth of a factory bullet. Spin the seater up and then lower it until it touches the top of the bullet on a factory round. At least in this case.

After I have worked with a load to see its accuracy potential, I will load a dummy case up ( no powder or primer) with the bullet seated way out. Then I will force chamber it in the rifle.

Then I will know what the seating depth is for that rifle. Then I set my seating die to that length and then back it off a hair. Then I rechamber that round. If it chambers with no resistance at all, then I take the OAL length and measure it in MMs. I then list it on the load data on the 3 x 5 card with that load.

All my loads have a 3 x5 card, listing, powder, the charge weight, the bullet, the primer, the OAL and the velocity. If I am using that brass multiple times, then I keep a history of the load s on the back of the 3 x 5 card.

Most of my loads are divided into lots of 25 for standard calibers, lots of 50 for 223 loads, and lots of 20 for Magnum loads,and older oddball rifles like my 30/40 Krag or the 8mm Mauser.

hope that answers you question somewhat.

cheers
seafire

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote