New
Find
Notify
Tools

no lube pistol sizing die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using an old Hornady Projector progressive press for loading pistol cases for many years. I gave up on the priming system so I sized, tumbled and primed off the press as separate operations. I mainly used a Lee carbide sizer die on cases that had been wiped but not tumbled clean. This has worked well but wanting to increase the throughput now that my sons have joined me at the club, I have purchased a Hornady LNL AP press which primes cases well. I now tumble the cases before running them through the press. My problem is now in the sizing area. Lee carbide dies need tumble cleaned cases to be lubed before they can be sized otherwise they require significant force and make the process through the die kind of jerky. Lee confirms the need to lube clean cases in his reloading book. (Says dirty cases have enough residual oil/wax etc to create a lube like preparation). I have used the Hornady TiNitride sizing die and it works OK without lube as does an old RCBS carbide die except that the latter leaves an objectionable sharp ring at the bottom of the case.My question is whether the Redding carbide die would work even better than the Hornady. I have no experience with them as they have never been available around here (down under)and if recommended I would be buying sight unseen. Calibres are 9mm, 38 Super and 38/357.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This from Brianenos.com:

Case Lube
A common misconception among reloaders is: If you’re using carbide dies, you don’t have to lube your cases. Technically, this may be true, but trust me - you definitely want to lube your cases. Not only does lubing the cases make the machine cycle easier and run smoother, resulting in less wear on the machine (and your arm), but you’ll load appreciably faster. (Up to 200 rounds/hour faster on a Dillon 1050.) I use case lube for the speed, and as you probably guessed, if it didn’t help to load faster, I wouldn’t use it. BTW, since I'm often asked this on the phone, I highly recommend Hornady's "One Shot" case lube. I don't sell it but you should be able to find it at your local gun shop. Basically, you just dust a light layer over the cleaned cases and forget about it. You don't even need to tumble or clean it off. Dillon sells a pump-dispensing bottle of environmentally friendly Case Lube for $8.95

I have always liked Dillon dies for my progressive press. Perhaps you will too. They are made especially for a progressive.

LINK

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't get "one shot" because of shipping issues and nobody sells it locally. I have used furniture spray as recommended by Lee but its a bit messy and I don't want to have to clean again. What is the active ingredient in "one shot"? because I've considered using dry PTFE sprays from CRC and the like but I was concerned they might be too "slippery" when fired and increase the case thrust. I will also consider the Dillon die. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many lubes you can use including the old standby anhydrous lanolin.But with carbide dies you don't need much .Even putting a bit on your fingers will get enough on the cases as you handle them.In addition to needing lube , carbide dies are also not immune to wear. Cases dropped on the ground will easily pick up things like sand which is VERY abrasive and WILL scratch and wear the carbide ! Clean them first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used One Shot. Perhaps the shipping regulations have to do with aerosol cans? Dillon's lube is a hand pump sprayer...not pressurized, so may pass those eagle-eyed inspectors. Order some when you order your Dillon dies.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Hornady and Redding sizers use TiN surfaces, and it is a smoother surface than carbide. You probably want to remove any dust residue from the tumbling media before sizing. A little lube is desirable.

As an alternative to the spray-ons, just having a little Imperial on your thumb and fingers as you place the brass in the shell plate will provide adequate lube. You might fully lube the first case sized, especially if the die has been cleaned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding doesn't use a Titanium Nitride (TiN) coating like Hornady does, they use Titanium Carbide (TiC) inserts. Similar to other carbide dies, a carbide ring is pressed into the steel die body and does the actual sizing. Redding just makes the carbide ring from Titanium Carbide instead of Tungsten Carbide (WC). Redding claims the Titanium Carbide is formed from rounded grains, instead of the jagged grains of Tungsten Carbide, resulting in smoother operation.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS and Lyman Carbide dies for my pistol ammo. Every 4-5 cases I load in the press, I dip my thumb in Imperial lube. I apply it very sparingly [actually I just handle the brass] and things seem to run quite smoothly done this way.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I only use carbide dies for handgun ammo. I lube the longer 44mags & 45colts but the short stuff, 9mm, 40, etc. go fine w/o any lube.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMcDermott:
Redding doesn't use a Titanium Nitride (TiN) coating like Hornady does, they use Titanium Carbide (TiC) inserts. Similar to other carbide dies, a carbide ring is pressed into the steel die body and does the actual sizing. Redding just makes the carbide ring from Titanium Carbide instead of Tungsten Carbide (WC). Redding claims the Titanium Carbide is formed from rounded grains, instead of the jagged grains of Tungsten Carbide, resulting in smoother operation.

You're absolutely right. Thanks for the correction. Redding uses TiN for their sizing bushings (O.K. Some of their sizing bushings).