Find
Notify
Tools

Component gouging
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I am getting low on some pistol powder so stopped in to a LGS yesterday. They had a pretty good stock of powder which surprised me because of the continuing shortage of components in general and powder in particular. When I looked at their pricing I found out why they still have stock. They wanted over $33 for a pound of 800X barf thumbdown I don't need it that bad! Mad

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Most powder in Alaska has been over $30 for years,,that's when shows up at all!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I was in Cabela's today. They had bunches of primers including some Federal match small rifle primers. The prices were, as I recall, in the mid $30s to almost $40 per 1,000.

Their powder offerings were pathetic.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Our LGS was 28 bucks a pound before, it's still $28 a pound for what they have. I paid $40 for 1000 match primers because I was looking for large rifle match primers in February. They were just as much before also. I remember seeing primers online for $250 a case plus shipping a few months ago.

When you need a pound of powder buy it. When you stock up on powder shop around online.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree that it has been totally blown out of proportion. I have been buying powder online from 2 different sources
powdervalleyinc.com and 3rdgss.com
The prices are very competitive, 3rdgss ships very quickly and seem to have different powders coming and going at a rapid rate. Their average pricing is 21 -23 dollars per pound. Only downside is the hazmat fee that they have to charge. But if you buy 8 or 10 lbs, it evens out. I check them every morning to see what they have in stock. If they have it, it usually doesn't last very long.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
For one reason or another, I've been away from shooting/loading for about 5 years or so, and, just got back into it in the last week (the first cold snap got the blood stirring again, I guess). Anyway, when I started looking at components, I was just totally blown away by the pricing I'm seeing. Mad
I feel like I fell asleep and woke up 30 years later or something. Frowner

R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time" Rush Limbaugh

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"

"never turn on a blow dryer while holding a cat"

"genius has limits, stupidity does not"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this time, because of the circumstances, you have little choice but the pay the price. However, when supplies become abundant and the prices come down (like gas, they will never drop to the old level), just remember the shops that tried to gouge you and go elsewhere.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I am getting low on some pistol powder so stopped in to a LGS yesterday. They had a pretty good stock of powder which surprised me because of the continuing shortage of components in general and powder in particular. When I looked at their pricing I found out why they still have stock. They wanted over $33 for a pound of 800X barf thumbdown I don't need it that bad! Mad

You're lucky. I wouldn't bitch about getting a gift horse. Up here, in the far north, at the end of the supply chain, we still can't get squat.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $53 for a thousand Federal 215s last week. I get the last laugh. I haven't bought a gun from these thieves for decades. I would rather be able to buy 1k of 215s for $53 than buy no 215s for $30.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just figure in the hazmat fee for on-line purchases and see which is still cheaper by the pound (or 8), then buy the cheapest. I bought a pound of AA4350 the other day for $26 from Cabelas and didn't figure that was too bad.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not be to quick to claim LGS are gouging.
Think of it this way, most are mom and pop operations and up till a year or so ago they were making X amount off each box of ammo or components they sold. Fast forward to todays world and now they have maybe 10-20% to sell compared to what they sold in the past. Their profit margins are way down and they need to make the money somehow or go out of business. They are most likely a victim just like the rest of us are.

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote