New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help interpreting data (6.5 WSM)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is the second attempt as all I posted was lost due to disconnection. The problem is that I have lost over 100 fps with exact same loads recently. I was averaging 3150 fps with a load of H1000 and 61.0. All my loads use 140 grain bullets of either Hornady, Nosler or Sierra design. I have tried everything I know.

Rifle wears a 26" Lilja tube that has less than 225 rounds thru it. I've cleaned it as best I can and broke it in properly. I've scrubbed with CR-10, Butch's and Iosso paste. Throat and lands are still very crisp.

My Extreme spreads are killing me. Here's a sample from yesterday:

1) 3020
2) 3048
Barrel cool 10 minutes
3) 3144
4) 3104

I am assembling the best loads I can, and I've been doing this a while. I am neck turning and reaming, pockets deburred and uniformed. Been switching primers, but am using 215 and 210 Gold Medal Match. Cases are new. I've compared necking either cases down, 300 and 270. I am using data from each test with similar data.

The gun is chambered very tight with a .298 neck. I think it's too tight. I have a hard time sizing cases to fit into the action easily. I either dent them below the shoulder or they are they chamber hard. This is the differnance between 1/30th of a turn.

Any ideas??? If more info is need I'll add it later. Boss is coming.

[ 01-15-2003, 21:16: Message edited by: Jesse Jaymes ]

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
How are your groups? Ammo maintained at the same temp? Tried another chronograph for comparison?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I can be more complete in smaller post so it's easier to read.

Gun cost $2000 and I'm not real happy with the groups. Best have been 1" at 200 yards.

Powder lot has been the same as it is from the same can.

Groups reflect chrony data, i.e, a 3020 fps round will be directly below a 3100 fps round by 3-4 inches.

I honestly feel it's chambering thing dealing with barrel epansion/heat or something.

Also used Retumbo, which gave great velocity around 3200 fps, but spreads were really large.around 100 fps between various shots.

RL-25 is most consistant, and I'll try my original loads with it at 60.0 and 215GM's. This load should be a good measuring stick as it was around 3140 as well. I switched to H1000 for temp consistancy

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try wiping out your die of lube and then lubing a fired case all over. Put very little lube on the neck-shoulder area and more around the base. Just do one case and test it for chambering. If you keep up with this lubing of the upper case then too much lube will dent the shoulders.

What lube are you using? Who made the dies? Did you call the die mfg? Sierra has a 800 # too and they would help also.

Do bullets enter the necks of fired cases easily?

That velocity of 3150 with a 6.5 MM 140 gr is way up there! It might be that your into extreme pressures and thus the variation.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally try to keep my ammo out of the sun and covered, but will look into it further. I've used no other chronographs, as my is the one used in the initial data collection, so I am ruling out the equipment or if it was set up correctly as this velocity loss has been over a few sessions of shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets CANNOT be inserted into spent brass. Dies were custom made with the same reamer and to me seem too tight. Going the full nine yards with brass, even K+M neck sizer.

I cleaned the dies last week with carb cleaner. Helped a little, but the adjustment is just a C hair between good and dented. Dents are not in the shoulder but below it.

Using Imperial Die Wax, and am eliminating lube in the dented areas, and lubing bases only. The press is camming over hard on the shell holder. I can't set it any smaller.

<t_bob38>
posted
>Groups reflect chrony data, i.e, a 3020 fps round will be directly below a 3100 fps round by 3-4 inches.<

This is astounding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The throat seems too tight or the necks are too thick!

What twist is the barrel? What action and stock? Scope?

A 1" group at 200 yards is very good and outstanding if consistant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The neck is stamped that it was reamed to .298 on the barrel. I turn and ream necks with the reamer set by the smith. I can load and mic a spent brass and a loaded round.

Gun built on a Savage 11 Left handed action, 26" Lilja No.3 1-9" twist

Stock is made by smith, Stockade Gunstocks, advertised in Lock, Stock and Barrel. It has an internal bedding block, pillars and glass. Good trigger as well. Scope is a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14. This may affect groups and others, but the chrony reads the same regardless of extra equipment.

Groups are not consistant, but they were with the H1000 load earlier, atleast averaging 1.75 inches. I can usually get two close and the third is out by a long shot. This is usually from an extra 100 fps as shown by the chrony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a bullet will not go into a fired neck then in my opinion something is too tight.

The easiest thing to do is to turn the necks down some more. This may be the cause of the variations. How thick are the necks? Chamfer the outside and inside of a neck really well and even sand it if you like and then measure the wall thickness with a caliper. Might as well go all around the neck to see if it varies. Thickeness usually range from .010 to .014"

Be careful of loading too hot. There is no established data for your cartridge.

I can tell you that in my M70 7MM WSM that all I can get is 3185 fps instrumental from a 24" barrel. This is with 140 gr Sierra bullets, IMR 7828 and 215 primers. Of course chronographs vary. My screen distance has been calibrated at 5' but who knows about the chronograph itself.

Be careful.