New
Find
Notify
Tools

44mag 1894 marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
today i just pick up an marlin 1894 44mag im going to start reloading tomarrow. I have the hornady 7th edition hand book will i be safe using the 44mag (rifle)load data. or is that data for the ruger auto-loaders and bolt action rifles?

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle and pistol loads for the 44mag are identical.

I have a Rossi lever gun (16") in 44 and use 24gr of 296 behind a 240gr bullet in Rem brass and I use WLP primers.
This is the most consistent load I've tried.

You need to give the bullet a very heavy crimp. I found it's best to seat and crimp in separate stages for consistency.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as soon as i posted realized ther were the same just a longer barrel on the rifle thanks for the load data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum was my first centerfire rifle many years ago. It's never had a scope mounted on it and it's taken a bunch of swamp deer in my home state Florida.

Later added a Ruger .44 Magnum revolver to compliment it. What a pair - good saddle gun combo; one in the holster & the other in a scabbard.

Don't forget to try lead bullet handloads as well - mine shoots them just fine even though the Marlin micro-goove rifling was not supposed to be optimum with them. Mine's a tack-driver.

Have fun wih it - I've sure enjoyed mine.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
20g of 2400 powder/CCI-300 primer/Speer Gold Dot 240gr softpoint works well in my 1894-44mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey MT, I've loaded for a a good number of 44Mag rifles and revolvers. Always settled on either SAFE MAX Loads of either H110 or the WW-296 which 416RH mentioned. They seemed to get the best performance out of the cartridge for me compared to other Powders.

Used a whole bunch of Hornady XTP bullets, and they all Killed very well, but never got an Exit. Hard to gripe about a Bullet which worked so well. But, I do prefer Exits where I Hunt.

Due to that, Gerry's mention of Lead Bullets(if Hard Cast), should give the Exits I really wanted. Coupled with a Keith Design, it should be about as good as it gets.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
micro-goove

thanks for all the help I picked up the gun to keep in my truck and on the 4wheeler. I had the chance to get the 44mag or the 45mar b ut picked the44mag because i have 200 brass and 500speer 240grn half jackets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450marlin not 45mar