New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM priming problem with Lee Primer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Lee hand priming tool that is 18 years old. I have all the shell holders. The shell holders fit in the jaws of the priming tool but the WSM cases are too fat to clear the jaws of the priming tool. Should I use a dremmal tool on the jaws or should I buy a new priming tool? Do newer models have a wider opening that will allow the WSM cases to clear?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 20+ year old Lee priming tool and a one year old one and neither work with my WSM.

All you can do is grind it down to fit the WSM cases.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be better off getting one of the priming tools that accepts shell holders (RCBS, Hornady). They use the base of the shell holder to hold it in place, just like the press ram does. The Lee uses that lip above the shell holder to hold it in place and that lip takes all the stress of primer seating. That is the thing you are talking about grinding on to give clearance for the fatter case. Every one of the Lees that I have broken, failed at the lip that holds the shell holder. It won't take kindly to being weakened further by grinding on it.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by army aviator:
I have a Lee hand priming tool that is 18 years old. I have all the shell holders. The shell holders fit in the jaws of the priming tool but the WSM cases are too fat to clear the jaws of the priming tool. Should I use a dremmal tool on the jaws or should I buy a new priming tool? Do newer models have a wider opening that will allow the WSM cases to clear?

New ones are the same - If you call Lee they will tell you to get out the dremel and start grinding away! Be advised that grinding with a stone will get the stone clogged, and you'll have to clean if often.

Been there done that and it works as with any other cartridge - just be careful not to go beyond what you need.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Ditto what Old Guy said" That is exactly what I had to do to mine and it works just fine.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchaed the new rcbs universal hand priming tool and it works on WSM cases.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with tradewinds on this matter. I use the rcbs for my 300 wsm with no problems.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will also run into problems with the red Lee powder funnel fitting the WSM cases. It is not worth the effort to drill it out since it still won't work. Finally, in reference to the hand primer I had the same problem except I ended using the Ram Prime(which is slow) to get things done.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just to chime in with my .02, I had the same problem with the Lee priming tool and did exactly as you surmised. I took a Dremel tool with a carbide burr and widened it out. It works fine with my .404 Jeffrey brass also. Do it and enjoy.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I took a small sanding drum and dremel to mine. Took about 2 minutes to fix.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will also run into problems with the red Lee powder funnel fitting the WSM cases. It is not worth the effort to drill it out since it still won't work. Finally, in reference to the hand primer I had the same problem except I ended using the Ram Prime(which is slow) to get things done.

The funnel is an easy fix too. A few seconds w/ a razor/utility knife to shorten it a bit and it fit's the WSM case fine.

Ditto on the Dremel to fix the Auto-Prime, very easy fix.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote