New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 and N150
 Login/Join

<Mads>
posted
A guy told me yesterday that he was told to reload his Weatherby Mark V in .30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Partition and 60 grains N150.

I asked him twice because I think that would be almost suicidal to use that load. But he told me that his rifle has a big freebore so it wouldn't be a problem.

Am I worried with out reason - or am I right?

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your conserns about your friends reloading is quite right!

He will have big trouble using 60 gr. N-150 with a 180 gr. bullet in a 30-06. The load even pass the Vihtavuori max load with N-160!!!!

I�m pretty sure that he will do some damage to the gun and mabye himself if he goes ahead and shoot this, how should I put it, not so smart load.

If you like your friend, talk him out of this dangerous experiment!!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
QuickLoad predicts 76,000 PSI. This is probably survivable with a modern bolt action firearm, but will be cratering/blowing primers and probably show sticky extraction.

It may rupture the case depending on headspace and rifle particulars.

Don

<Mats>
posted
Mads,

You were right - this guy's cruisin' for a bruisin'... I stopped at 50 grains myself in a long-freebored Husky using a 180 Norma Alaska. This was where the bolt got sticky, it gave 755 mps out of a 24" bbl. 60 gr MRP gave 820 mps with great accuracy - guess what load I choose?

Let's just hope he has a seriously mis-zeroed powder scale. Otherwise the world might be berieved an idiot...

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads,

According to the VihtaVuori 3rd Edition (Nosler not listed but Speer Spitzer) but N160 for that weight of bullet:

Starting Weight: 52.8; Max = 57.6

Hope that justifies your position! As Rodney Dangerfield quipes, make sure that suicide prevention does not put YOUR friend on hold!

Best regards,
Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads,

Just a quick follow up to my previous reply, N150 is not even listed for that weight of bullet.

As a purveyor of safety & process, I therefore would not even put that powder into the running as my personal reloading manual rule dictates in ch.3; section 8: "Do not extrapolate on powders in any respect, unless if and only if the vendor has a very specific recommendation..."

Just adjusting and addressing an oversight on my part!

Best regards,
Alex

<Mads>
posted
Thank you guys

My Friend agreed after have seen your replies here to start on 50 grains and work up.

Best Regards

Mads

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mads:
My Friend agreed after have seen your replies here to start on 50 grains and work up.

Why? Is he dumb, or just stupid? I mentioned stopping at 50 gr and he would START there?

I do believe that your friend has gotten a few things backwards. A long throat does not significantly lower pressures, at least not more than normal gun-to-gun differences can. A Weatherby in .30-06 does not even have a particularly long throat - he is confusing this one with some (not all) of the Wby propriety cartridges, where a long throat is designed into the specs.

If you don't like this friend of yours, let him load and shoot the cartridges.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mats,

Do you have specific data which denotes that powder to the load specifications indicated? I am now curious because I have yet to hear back from the "Oy" folks on this.

quote:
<snip>I mentioned stopping at 50 gr and he would START there? <snip>[/B]

Yes Mats, you are probably correct but would you agree or disagree that pressures are essentially governed by the following dynamics and variants (1) Powder's Burn Rate; (2) Bullet Seating Depth relative to its length; (3) Crimp on the neck (if and only if applicable); (4) Bullet Seating Strategy?

I mention this only because you have peaked my curiosity now. You see, as I understand it, if a bullet is seated to a depth in which the bullet "kisses the lands", then because at the point at which ignition occurs and no movement occurs yet, until the proper pressure has been attained, dangerous pressures can only be achieved if an only if bullet seating is done with this methodology.

Is this the reason for your suggesting lowering the powder volume? If it is, then I am in agreement with you. If it is not, then recipe powder volumes can still be utilized because if a bullet begins its movement by not kissing the lands, then we would not be in agreement becuase pressures simply are not attained at the same rate.

Which premise were you going by?

Best regards,
Alex

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Szabo:
Do you have specific data which denotes that powder to the load specifications indicated?

Alex, you have the Lapua/VV manual. In it, you will see that they top out at 57.6 gr N 160 for the Speer 180 - probably similar to the Nosler, might give a little less resistance in the bore since it has no partition. With no N 150 data for this bullet weight, you can look at what they list for the 185 gr Mira. This being a soft and easily moved bullet, it compares reasonably well to most 180 gr bullets, as indicated by the fact that N 160 data shows a higher value (59.2 gr) for the max load, compared to the Speer 180. The N 150 data for the Mira shows a max of 48.9 gr.

Looking at the reloading pages over here, we can see that Saeed has tested N 150 with the '06. Using a 180 gr MK bullet, he stopped at 49 gr.

With my own experience put aside, having read the load tables I would not even dream of using 50 gr as a starting load, which is what Mads' friend wants to do.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mats, forgive me, but perhaps the Florida sun has baked my head too long from mowing, you see, we have covered overhangs at the range, so I know it's not that :-).

We appear to be on different wavelengths. It appears that you have extrapolated your recipe through a series of implications. Unfortunately, after executing several searches, I was unsuccessful at finding the example you cited.

Up to know, I have vehemently avoided developing implied recipes. Perhaps I will do that in the future.

Best regards,
Alex