New
Find
Notify
Tools

First -- and Last -- Visit to Gander Mountain
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was in Houston yesterday on business and took a little time to swing out of my way coming home to stop by the Gander Mountain retail store. When I was a youngster I used to do a lot of mail order business with GM, who had some of the most competitive prices on components and equipment around, so I was anticipating a good stock and attractive prices.

Boy, was I disappointed! Their reloading stock was about what you would expect in a small neighborhood gun shop, and their prices were, well, "exhorbitant" would be a mild description. All of their bullets had been recently remarked to prices roughly double of the Sportsman's Warehouse where I frequently shop. I did find a box of 250 "old stock" Nosler 6mm Btips that were marked $39.95. When I took them to the cash register, the electronic wonder rang up $69.96! The clerk gave me the "old" price since it was marked on the box, be said that any other box would be at the new price of $69.95. None of the meager supply or brass was even price marked, and I didn't bother to ask.

They had a large stock of some very run-of-the-mill guns (Remingtons and Savages, etc.), but the prices were beyond full retail.

What's happened to GM? Why would anyone buy from them?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Same here in ohio. When they first opened a few years ago they had a good inventory and now when ever you want something they tell you it will be in next thursday. go back and its never there.
I always thought there firearm prices were way over the top. they want as much for a used rifle as what you can buy it new.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices for rifles here in iowa are pretty are reasonable, depending on what you are looking at.

I would agree that the reloading stock is pretty much gone. They do seem to keep an okay supply of powder and primers, but that is pretty much it.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Dang im headed there tomorrow. Awell I guess there are some large gun shops in the area if Gander Mountain is no good

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how they ever sell a gun -- the rifles and shotguns I saw that had prices below (barely) full-list were USED -- everything there's ridiculously over-priced -- I cannot figure out how they survive, esp. not in the type of competitive gun market there is in the Houston area...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Dang im headed there tomorrow. Awell I guess there are some large gun shops in the area if Gander Mountain is no good

Plenty of them. Carter's, Fountain Firearms, Collector's Firearms to name three. Carters tends to concentrate on new guns and not that many lines but they have some good prices from time to time. Collector's and Fountain have an excellent selction of used and collector's guns and while the prices can be high relative to the occaisional intenet bargain, they have been known to dicker a little.

There are also two large Bass Pro stores. One out west in Katy Mills Mall (I-10) and a new one at the intersection of Beltway 8 and Hwy 288 on the south side.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Gander is very proud of their reloading supplies. I can get .44 180gn hornady xtp's from Sinclait for 15.99 a box when I swing throught there with the semi. One time I had my wife go to gander for the bullets when I wasnt going through fort wayne. She brought them home and I looked at the box $25.99!!! I about took them back. But when you have a match to shoot oh well I guess.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
They died of overcharging the last time, still suffering from the disease apparently. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Went to the one in Lubbock, Tx. And was disappointed. Luckily Sharpshooters was just down the road and is like a candy store for gun nuts.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I go once a year and I agree with everone here. The handloader probably doesn't buy much from them.

They keep the guns on racks that you can self/serve to look at anthing you want without a clerk. This is kinda cool except the guns get beat up realy bad I even seen one fall off the rack the last time I was there.

Ther is a Dunns about one mile away and they have much better priceing on ther loading things.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Gander Mountain here in Knoxville is exactly like yours elsewhere. Extremely overpriced... The last time I went, I managed to buy a package of 6 targets. This from a man who can't get out of Cabela's for less than a hundred bucks. I won't go back.... Even more amazing is the fact that there is a BPS just a half hour away, so they have competition.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GM in Ft Wayne is just like the others, high prices on any reloading or ammo. They marked up the powder to 29.99 a pound for Win 296. Sportsman Warehouse has the same powder for 17.99 a pound. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM GM AGAIN!!!

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here. It's the only big store we have in Little Rock right now. They do have a lot of guns, but have gotten too high. When it first opened, the prices were ok and they had decent selection of powder and primers. Not anymore. The last pound of h335 i bought there was 27 out the door. Not to mention the service is terrible. Too bad it's the only place around here that sells powder, but now I'm going to order all my stuff online.