New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon H414 powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Hodgdon 2004 Annual Manual shows H414, a spherical powder, producing excellent velocities with many cartridges. H414 flows easily through powder measures.

What kind of accuracy have ya'll had with it ?

Any problems ?

Allegedly, some Hodgdon powders are twins of some WW powders -- WW296 and H110, for example. Are H414 and WW760 related ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read that WW760 and H414 come from the same bulk drum, but have no personal knowledge to support this claim.

I have had good results loading H414 in the 260 behind 120 gr bullets. It does meter very well through my Midway powder measure.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot alot of it in my .22-250
it will meter very smoothly,what are you planning to shoot it out of?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H414 exclusively in my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm with 160 gr Nosler Partitions and 162 Grain Hornady SSTs. With 48.3 grains of it in Remington cases I get 2,815 chronographed velocity with the 162 grain Hornady bullets and chronographed 2,835 with the 160 grain Nosler. This is out of a 23.6 inch barrel. My groups with the SSTs have been exceedingly good. My rifle has had the action glassbedded and the barrel free floated. Now, for the numbers. The SSTs will give me three-shot groups slightly less than one-half inch at 100 yards in 70 degree weather. The partitions open it up to three quarters of an inch at the same distance. The powder meters well, though I do weigh each load just to be on the safe side. My brother's CZ 550 Fullstock in 7x57mm will shoot three quarter inch groups with the 160 grain partitions, but it hates the SSTs. His velocity measured with a chronograph sits right at 2,745 fps. Not too shabby with that H414 I'd say. The bullets, by the way, all have been seated way, way out to be close to the lands so they hit the 3.295 COL level in these long-throated CZs. Hope this helps ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you put two samples of H414 and W760 under a binocular microscope and compare them. I don't know if they are the same but I like both of them. I have used H414 in my .243 with 85 and 87 grain bullets for close to 25 years and seen very consistent performance with that powder. A lot of praire dogs would testify to its accuracy if they could. I don't waste much time at a range looking for good groups so I can't quote you on the paper accuracy. When I find a load that will consistently give me clover-leaf groups I quit fiddling with it. H414 has been able to do that routinely for me. The other thing I have noticed is neglible differences between powder lots with H414. And it is generally cheaper.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested 15 different powders in a 6mm Rem with a 75 grain HP Hornady.... each one was easily minute of prairie dog...

The last one I tested was H 414 ( 47.5 grains) in a 6mm Rem, and that load turned out to be a one hole shooter..... over and over...

So one can guess which one of the 15 loads I decided was to become that rifles new diet with that bullet weight....

But it does so across the board with all bullet weights.....

It does an excellent job in anything I have used it in!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for your replies.

Going to load some cartridges for prairie dog shooting. Going to try H414 in the 17 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 6/06 Mashburn, and 25/06.

Have used it in 7x57, 308 Win, and 30/06, but not in the smaller stuff.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H-414 and my 7x57, three of them, is a marriage made in heaven. 140 grain bullets for mine, with great accuracy. It's all I use for them.
Don

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
In calibers from .28 to .32, it performs almost the same as IMR 4350, and is supposedly identical to WW760. I have used all three in the same calibers, including the 7X57mm and .30/40 Krag, with equally satisfactory results.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with it with my 3006 and 375 H&H. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to one of the writers in the gun rags, H-414 and W-760 are two different lots of the same powder. He also stated that H-110 and W-296 are the same, but different lots, and HP-38 and W-231 as well. he did also say the because they were different lots, the data was not truly interchangable.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
According to one of the writers in the gun rags, H-414 and W-760 are two different lots of the same powder. He also stated that H-110 and W-296 are the same, but different lots, and HP-38 and W-231 as well. he did also say the because they were different lots, the data was not truly interchangable.
Paul B.

A little of the subject I know, but...
One must ask why WW-296 produces a blue flash, while H-110 produces a orange one? It can only be because of different chemical compositions, or deterrents. Can't say I've noticed that phenomena with the rifle powder tho.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Paul B.

A little of the subject I know, but...
One must ask why WW-296 produces a blue flash, while H-110 produces a orange one? It can only be because of different chemical compositions, or deterrents. Can't say I've noticed that phenomena with the rifle powder tho.

An interesting observation. It seems to me that Olin makes the WW powders, but Hodgdon gets quite a few from offshore sources. But I cannot swear that Olin is not buying from the same source as Hodgdon, these days. Not much is made here any more. thumbdown

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well FWIW, ADI shows H414/4350 and W760 as equivalents...if there is such a thing! IIRC, someone recently posted that Hodgdon's powder source is ADI.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Several of these powders sold by Winchester and Hodgdon are similar, but not identical. If you check a load manual that gives pressure data, you will see that H-414 and W-760 give different pressures at similar charge weights. Most of the ball powders used by both companies are made by Primex. If the powders were identical, load data could be used interchangeably. They are the same base chemistry, but vary slightly according to the specifications of the two companies. The only two powders that I know of that are identical and load data is interchangeable, would be HS-6 and W-540. The same applied to HS-7 and W-571 before both were discontinued. There is another case but it is with WAP and Ramshot Silhouette. Winchester dropped WAP from it's line and Western Powder Company picked it up and it is sold as Ramshot Silhouette. Data is interchangeable. In fact, Ramshot publishes data, previously generated by Winchester.

Great to hear that H-414 is working so well for you guys. We now have a new powder that is slightly slower than the 4350 burn range. Ramshot Hunter is a ball powder that will meter exceptionally @ 950 grams per liter. What makes it unique is that it is not temperature sensitive like a lot of ball powders. It is claimed to rival extruded powders in that regard. Burn rate is next to ReLoader 19 and it is capable of very good velocities. It might make a good alternate to 414 when something slightly slower is needed. Standard deviations for the listed load data is outstanding. It's supposed to be THE powder for the new 6.5 X .284 Norma and works great for all cartridges based on the .30-06. Long or short action. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with H414 in my 7x57 with 139 to 162 grain bullets -- in fact, I think it may be the optimum powder for this cartridge -- and in a 30-06 with 150 to 180 grain bullets.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the H414 being excellent for the smaller case 7mms - 7mm-08 and the 7x57mm. And it is usually the Powder I reach for when loading 165gr bullets in a 30-06.

Great Powder that allows you to develop the Load from below without going into weird Pressure Excursions as you approach a SAFE MAX. Not all Powders have that ability.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the consensus here. I use H414 in my .22-250 and my 7mm-08, and just today tried a load in my 7 Rem. Mag. with good results. It's a very versatile, easy-to-use powder.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Probably the best accuracy in my 7mag out of the powders I've loaded for it.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found H414 to be the powder for the old .250 Savage. Using Hodgdon's published data I am getting right at 3000 fps for a 100g Barnes TSX and the cases last a long time. This is a bolt action though - not a M99.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I'll be the exception here...my 300WSM hated H414 with all bullet weights (150-200). H4350 produced cinsistant groups half the size of H414 (1.5" to .75").

FWIW.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote