Find
Notify
Tools

PAGE 65!!! PAGE 65!!! PAGE 65!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
In the vein of Steve Martin's discovery, in "The Jerk," that the new phone books had arrived...

"PAGE 65!!! PAGE 65!!! PAGE 65!!!"

I was sitting here at work, wasting your tax dollars (thank you) as I read through my latest issue of "Handloader Magazine" -- and, on page 65 (!!!), there's a full-page ad of Hornady's Lock-N-Load AP press with NEW Automatic Case Feeder!

Man oh man oh man oh man! If I didn't already have a wad tied up in my wonderful XL650 and I was in the market for a progressive... THIS would be it! No floppy die heads like on the XL650. (Granted, I've never had a problem loading accurate ammo on my Dillon, but that "slop" just can't be good, you know?)

Russ [Big Grin]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Russ,

I think you and I are the only techno-weenies with a sense of humor! Your posts are great!

Glenn Bevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, perhaps.

Damn great press, though. For a few seconds, I gave thought to selling my Dillon. At this point and after the dollars invested, I guess I'm committed. Sure is a neat press, though.

Russ

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Hey Russ, seeing as you don't need one, how about buying one for me? [Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Techno-weenie?" - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John:

No, but I'll buy you a set of dies (no fancy wildcats or anything bizarre) if you get one. I'd really like to know how well these things work.

Dan:

I think he meant it in a good way. I think. Plus, he said "techno" first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh well OK then. As long as he said "techno" first. Oh and Russ, I have a cousin of mine checking the camps around Thompson for firearms rules. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dan.

And, I've been looking at the press and at my XL650... man, I'm sorely tempted to dump the Dillon (I never thought I'd say that) and go with the Hornady.

On the other hand... Dillon's customer service has always been stellar, whereas I was on hold with Hornady today for 15 minutes just trying to find out the length of their 225-grain, .338-caliber SST. I'd written them about "ballistic coefficient, sectional density, and bullet length" on 24 Dec 2002. I just got a response today... answering the first two items, but saying the "length" would depend on how long my magazine was. Retards. If I'd wanted cartridge OAL, I would have ASKED for cartridge OAL. This is typical of how Hornady can only make things; they are totally horseshit about adding the human touch. So, anyway, I called today, was on hold with some really BAD elevator music for 15 minutes, and finally got some guy who had NO idea what the length was, said it wasn't written down anywhere, and he'd have to "go out" and measure some bullets to find out. He let me know he had no serious desire to do that, so I just said "nevermind." Over the years, this is the kind of customer service I've gotten from them. They make great products which I love and use, but that's where it ends.

So, I'm pretty sure that if I had a minor problem with this new press, I'd be screwed for getting any help out of Hornady.

On second thought, I'll keep my Dillon.

Oh, and Dan, thanks for following up on the camping situation up north.

Russ

[ 01-16-2003, 01:56: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Russ

Seconds ago I got off the phone with Hornady and this is how I interpret it.

Max Sugg Retail
$183 Feeder
$ 27 Tray (each of 4 different, 1 per primer size ????)
$ 75 Sub plate (Required for set up)

Won't be shipping until Jan 31 (not made yet, parts unavailable)

I don't know how those trays are figured but 1 per primer size ????

Can anyone scan or get a picture of the setup, I would be greatfull.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Rob, I'm sure it's a great press. I'm just figuring if there's a problem in using it or getting a replacement part... well, it's like I said. Of itself, I think it's a great rig.

Russ

[ 01-16-2003, 02:47: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

posted Hide Post
RUSS,
I HAVE A LNL AP AND IF I NEED ANY PARTS...I USUALLY GET THEN IN A SHORT TIME

Posts: 6 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Your customer service story reminds me of calling a local business and after being told they were located on Road X near the (east-west) interstate I asked:

"Are you north or south of the interstate?"

Her reply;

"That depends on which way you're coming from....)

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve y:

"Are you north or south of the interstate?"

Her reply;

"That depends on which way you're coming from....)

Have you seen "3000 Miles to Graceland?" If not, you should... for one small exchange between Courtney Cox and Kevin Costner.

It's sort of intellectual humor, which is why I liked it and no one else I've watched it with has laughed like I did, but... she's standing and walking amidst various artifacts from around the world, and takes an interest in something of a "pharoah"-type statue/bust... of which she asks Costner "Where'd you get this one?" (I won't comment on his first, under-his-breath response, because I'm trying to clean up my act a bit these days.) When she says "Excuse me?" (she hadn't heard what he'd said), he speaks up and says "It's an African piece."

She says "Oh. Looks Egyptian to me."

He just gives her the kind of look I'd have given her, and that's it... but it's priceless. "Duh." She wasn't even blonde in this movie.

Russ

[ 01-17-2003, 06:47: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]