Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting started
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to get into reloading real soon here and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. From what I have read it seems like the Dillon RL 550 B is the best all around press out there is this true. I will be doing both rifle and and pistol. I was wondering what all else that I am going to need to get started? Do tumblers really help out a lot and make your job easier? Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This may not fit your circumstances, or desires, but I would suggest considering getting started reloading with a single stage press, and then graduate into a progressive. It would be a good way to get a handle on the many different aspects of safe and effective handloading practice. In any case, welcome to the wonderful world of reloading...George

PEACE--Through Superior Firepower

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to find some one that thats reloading seriously and ask for help. If there is a rod and gun club around go there and ask around.

I would start simple and work up.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are high volumn loading pistol & rifle rounds, the 550B is a great press. If you are shooting mostly big game rifle rounds & some pistol rounds, I would look into a turret press or a good single stage to start. You can always buy the 550B if your pistol needs become greater.
A case tumbler is nice but not necessary. You'll need a quality scale, a powder measure if you don't buy the Dillon & calipers for measuring OAL. If you haven't already done so, buy at least two good loading manuals & read them (I like Speer & Hornady, the SIerra & Nosler are ok too but more for rifle). That will get you started. There are other little things to buy along the way but a bit of reading will help you sort that out.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ShootinJoe, these guys are wright, read as much as you can, fine a reloading buddy or, the NRA has a get started reloading book. You don't want to buy your tools twice, know what you want then buy. you have already found A good place to start. Where in MICHIAN are you. 6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will be doing mostly high volume loading in .223, 40, 9mm, and 45acp. This is why I was looking at the 550. I have already done a lot of reading on it and have been doing shot shells for years so I kind of have an idea about whats going on. I'm from SE Mich, metro area.

Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 550B will serve you well. You'll still need a powder scale to set the measure & calipers for measuring OAL. I woudl go aheda & get a tumbler, easiest way to clean brass. With the 550B you'll want some extra primer tubes & a flipper tray. The Dillon tray is way overkill but it will never break & takes the largest primer boxes in stride.
You'll also need a way to lube the 223 cases. There are lube pads or spray on lubes, there are advantages to both.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShootinJoe:
I will be doing mostly high volume loading in .223, 40, 9mm, and 45acp. This is why I was looking at the 550. I have already done a lot of reading on it and have been doing shot shells for years so I kind of have an idea about whats going on. I'm from SE Mich, metro area.

Joe

Joe, If you're familiar with Hornady's 366, you can run Dillon's 550B. Given that you have this experience under your belt, I have no problem recommending the 550 to you, otherwise I'd have gone with Redding's turret press.