Find
Notify
Tools

Speer DeepCurl
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted
Anyone loading these? What you think compared to the Hot Core's? If theres any diff except the B.C. ratings.

Looking at using them in:
270 WSM 150 gr
338 WM 225 gr
30-06 180 gr

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I loaded some for a .270 in the 150gr for one of my boys to use. Yet to kill anything yet this year with it. If he does I'll post up. They shot fine on paper. This is the first box of Big Game bullets from Speer I've purchased since the early 80's. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, they have Deep Curl for handguns too. They are like the fine Gold Dots but with heavier construction.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
The 160 shoots really well in 7mm-08. I did test the 200 Hot Cor vs the 225 Deepcurl in some dry phone books and magazines from my 338 Fed. The Deepcurl made a bigger hole but penetrated several inches less. It retained about 60% of it's weight. The Hot Cor lost it's core but that was at the very end after penetrating much deeper than the Deepcurl. The Deepcurl looks to be a wide expander like the Interbond. Should provide some fast kills with that kind of expansion.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last month a thread was started about deep curl bullets. I said I'd try some in my expansion testing tubes. Well here's the first one, a 308 caliber 165 grain from a 30-06. Rifle used is older than I am,(66 in jan), a 03-A3 springfield.

Here's a few pics;

Notice how the lead has clung to the inside of the jacket. That's what meant by "BONDING". There can be no doubt that the deep curl bullet is truly bonded.

Penetration was completely through an out the end of the 10 inches of the expansion medium, a soft wax. The guys at the bullet test tube website say that a standard rifle size test tube will stop a standard caliber like the -06. Well, I had to devise a backup plan. I made a coupler to attach to the back of the test tube, another section of 6" tube stuffed with rags. The rags are tough for a bullet to penetrate, especially one that's fully expanded and slowed way down. The bullet was just inside the first layer of cloth, an old "T" shirt.

http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

What was the results? Since this was my first time using this medium, I can't say I was impressed with the wound channel. It is quite narrow. The expanded bullet weighs out at 122.6 grains. Meaning it lost 42.4 grains. The wound track shows shards of lead which could be left behind in meat. The expanded slug is .650 across it's widest point.

Penetration was good. I would say bordering on excellent. But I may find out that all standard rifle bullets will go all the way through the test tube. I also tested a .223 60 grain nosler partition. That's a subject for another thread, coming soon. I also have several other "hunting weights" to test for .223.

Velocity was an estimated 2650, the tube was at 25 yards. Why not 100? Because the springfield has irons on it, these tired old eyes can't shoot irons that far out.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote