New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireform Shrinkage
 Login/Join

<Hutt>
posted
I recently purchased 1000 rds. of once fired .223 rem. brass with the same headstamp to use in a .223 ack. imp. Most of the case lenghts measure out to 1.765. About how far back should I trim to avoid being too short after the fireform shrinkage with this particular cartridge, and what if some were say around 1.745 any significant danger involved or just an accurracy problem?

[This message has been edited by Hutt (edited 01-01-2002).]

<Big Stick>
posted
I trim mine to 1.760" and after forming and sizing,they are about perfect,at 1.750".

No danger with the shorter necks,you'll just see some variation in accuracy. If you have a bunch,with the slightly shorter necks,keep them seperate and they'll group together.

I FL size the once-fired cases,trim to 1.760",deburr flash holes and shoot a 50gr bulk R/P soft point(moly) .005" into the lands,with 27.5grs of H-335.

Formed cases are neck sized and I shoot 31.5grs of H-335 with a moly 40gr V-Max at 4006fps,out of my 24" 1-12" twist barrel. My 23" 1-12" twist,is but 15fps slower. 30.5grs of H-335,pushes a 50gr moly V-Max at 3745fps. I lose 5fps,in the 23" tube.

It is my favorite 22centerfire,by far. It has retired my 22-250's,22-250Ackleys,Swifts,both CHeetahs and the 224Wby. I dote on it.............

<Hutt>
posted
Thanks Big Stick as I have several pounds of H-335 on hand............Hutt

<Big Stick>
posted
Hutt,

I should have been more concise. It is when I experience a batch of excessively long cases(over 1.760")that I trim,before forming. That,to keep pressures in check.

If I have a batch that is less than 1.760" long,I simply chamfer them after the FL sizing and load them. Then I trim after they are fire-formed and neck sized. I trim to 1.750" and the sharp shoulder and neck sizing,keeps trimming chores from that point on,to a minimum.

That is my preferred route of attack............

<Hutt>
posted
Are you using the STD or MAG. primers w/H-335

<Big Stick>
posted
Std primer. Please comment on your rifles abilities,after you get some cases formed..........