New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This evening I unsealed a previously opened can of IMR 7828 (it is about 1/2 full). The granules of powder were olive green- probably from rust in the can. It has not been opened in about 3 years. Is this powder still safe to use? Since I can still load about 40rds for my 300 Wby with the remaining powder, I would still like to use this "colorful" batch of powder so long as it is safe and has not lost its consistency and potency (or has become more potent). The granulas look exactly like the new powder I just purchased (ie. the powder has not broken down into smaller pieces), except they are brightly colored. Your thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
If there is rust in the can I would not use it but I wouldn't think there would be rust in a sealed container. I haven't used 7828 but some powders are the olive color you described. As long as the can has no rust in it and it hasn't been jostled around enough to break down the coating I would start light and use it but I suspect that it will shoot different from the new lot you have.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Shawn
If there rust is in the can I would not use it. It could change the burn rate of the powder and make it under safe. I would take it out and make a nice little fire with it and go with the new powder to be safe and fine a new place to put your powder.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
If you are comparing it to a fresh can, and there is a noticeable difference, why take a chance? Half a can of powder is going to put you back less than $10. Is ten bucks worth it to find out?

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 7828 being a single-base powder (and very similar to the old surplus 4831), it is very slow to deteriorate under reasonable conditions. I have some 4831 that is now over 50 years old and is as good as the day it was made.

That being said, I have never seen any powder turn olive green. I would be suspicious.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 10-17-2001).]

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Shawn - I concur with the other posts. Don't take a chance when reloading - you might not live to regret it. Since you have fresh powder - common sense says use it and throw the old powder in your yard for fertilizer. You are potentially gambling with you life over $30 worth of powder. Best to err on the side of caution when reloading. Remember to work up your loads with each new powder lot.

Generally when powder breaks down it takes on a red rust color and the odor of the powder becomes more pronounced. Deteriorating powder generally takes on a substantially higher burn rate - i.e. pressure spikes can be many times what would be normal, potentially resulting in case failure and in extreme events can even cause action/barrel/life failure.

Stay safe and stay alive!

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deterioated powder will have red rust looking powder mixed with it. Opening the cap will release rusty looking gas, nitrous oxide. There will be nasty harsh odor, not the ether odor of fresh powder. Is this what you have?? If so dump it immediately, it can spontaniously combust.
If you have a little rust from the cap, but, the powder is fresh and has the ether odor, I personally would repackage it. That is what I would do. Use your comon sense. To err on the side of safety is no fault.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 10-17-2001).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zero,
Old powder that has deterioted losses its odor, Fresh powder is strong, go smell your powders, you got it backwards..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Of course, this would not be the first time I got something bassacwards Ray.

However, I have noticed that deteriorated powder has a "different" odor than fresh powder. No questions that an unopened can of new powder will have a very strong smell.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. The old can has a weak and slightly different smell than the new can. From your suggestions, I have decided to burn-up the old can and use the new can for reloading.

Basically, my renewed interest in IMR 7828 was based on a thread last week about the best powder for a 300 Wby. In the past, I have used this powder only for heavy bullets (ie 200, 220 and 240 grs). I plan on trying 85 grs of powder with 165 gr Speer Spitzer SP.

Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My test have shown that IMR7828 will get you the highest velocity in a 300 wby by about a 100 to a 150 fps......My load was 2 grs. over book max, but I worked up to that very slowly and had a 26" barrel...I liked the gun but decided the 300 H&H filled my needs as well...so I make a 416 out of the wby.

Anyone need and accruate SS Win. M-70 barrel with a threaded tip and thread protector for a KDF and I may have the KDF around here someplace....It is an accurate barrel and shot less than 150 times, probably less that 100......Make me a reasonable offer.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote