New
Find
Notify
Tools

cratered primers in factory loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The other day I was sitting in a little spot I like to wait for pigs from, when I picked up two shells I had left behind from previous hunts.
One was the .308win the other a .30-06;
From memory the .308 was an RWS 150gn cone point and the '06 a Remington Core-Lokt 180grainer.
I noticed that the primers on both cases was cratered.
I don't recall a stiff bolt or anything else out of the ordinary, and the 06 come out of a BAR semi auto so I can't comment on that one.
I have never really checked primers before, but since I began reloading (not very long ago) I have naturally become more aware of such things.
Is this something to worry about or can the cause be something other than eccessive pressure?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A poor firing pin fit in the firing pin hole, or a weak firing pin spring, or a combination of both can make a cratered appearance in the primer similar to a high pressure load.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express, several things can cause a cratered dent on your primers. The fact that this appears in two different rifles and two different brands of ammunition AND you noticed no problem when firing either rifle suggests to me that you aren't looking at anything to worry about.

What you SHOULD start worrying about is picking up your brass! As a new reloaded you must learn the first rule: When you pull the trigger, you don't ask "Did I hit him?" Instead you ask, "Where's my case?" THEN worry about if you hit the pig. [Big Grin]

I'm about half serious here my friend. I ALWAYS pick up my cases. (It is a phobia with me to lose a case.) And I ALWAYS look at these cases and primers for indications of any problems with the brass or load. My experience is if something is going wrong, you'll usually catch it this way first.

Stonecreek, what you said was certainly true. I'm just trying to look at this from a broader perspective. Hope you don't mind me butting in. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind at all, Pecos. I'm kind of like you, especially when I was younger and poorer -- would have almost rather lost an animal than a case! You can imagin what wonders it did for my dove shooting when I could finally afford to replace my automatic with an over-under!

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote