Find
Notify
Tools

About to ditch my case trimmer...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
...and buy some trim dies. After years of doing this little "hobby," I've concluded that case trimming should be a very simple operation and is overly complicated by the use of trimmers.

I currently use a Forster trimmer, and do get good results with it, but the hassle factor has become too high in my book.

That being said, what kind of file do you die-trimmers use? Will any old file do, or is there a specific type that's better suited to the task?

Thanks, gents.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Lee "Zip Trim"

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Lee, plus it`s cheap

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
The Lee tool is a possibility, but:

1. It looks like it's not repeatable, and I'd have to constantly remove the case to measure length. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

2. It appears it has to be mounted to a surface for use. I don't want another piece of mounted equipment on my bench. Although, I guess I could mount it to a section of 1x4 and do the whole C-clamp thing.

Am I correct about these two things?

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
RSY take a look at them here.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1113232322.380=/html/catalog/casecon.html

The tool is non ajustable but cuts to the same lenght every time, (SAAMI min) I use a dremal tool with mine and acually think this is one tool Lee got right.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Joe:

After some thought, the Lee solution looks like it may be the way to go. I'm not a big fan of theirs, but I just realized that I, using a Forster Co-Ax press, can likely not use any trim dies due to how dies sit in that press. However, I do have an old Bonanza 68 I could get out and bolt on to the bench as a dedicated trimming and bullet-pulling press.

Decisions, decisions. nut

RSY

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
RSY, I use a Wilson case trimmer and with the addition of the Sinclair micrometer adjuster it is absolutely repeatable. The trimmer itself is inexpensive. The adjuster makes it border line pricey but if repeatability to your specifications is important there is (IMO) no other choice. FWIW

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Jim:

The Sinclair/Wilson set-up is indeed nice. But, I'm trying to reduce complexity at this point, not increase it.

Thanks for the info.

RSY

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman trimmer, it is very consistant and I think their chucking system is great.Adding the power attachment would be nice for big runs of 22-250

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
ELKMAN:

Thanks for the tip.

However, I don't have a problem with my trimmer particularly, but with trimmers, in general. Hence, my sudden interest in trim dies.

RSY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
I don't want another piece of mounted equipment on my bench....

However, I do have an old Bonanza 68 I could get out and bolt on to the bench as a dedicated trimming and bullet-pulling press.

Huh??? Confused bewildered

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore:

Exactly. Notice I wrote "could," not "would like to."

RSY

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
RSY, file trim dies area PITA to me. I used to form some cases using file/trim dies. Way more work than a simpe case trimmer, just my 2c worth.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee trimmers are the best. utterly repeatable, no hassles, small, inexpensive, the list goes on. yet another Lee innovation.

One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the new Sinclair/Wilson case trimmer is, you just write done the setting for every round you have and just dial it in and go. Mine it dead on every time. How easy can that be, we take notes of every thing we do?

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use several RCBS trim dies in wildcat applications where a substantial part of the neck has to be removed starting with a hack saw then a file.(30 Herrett, 7mm Int Rim). They are labor intensive and slow but undoubtedly repeatable.
For speed and ease after the initial case formation, and for some dozen other cartridges, I use a two level mini-bench I made. The upper level holds my RCBS trimmer, the adjacent one, which is just a bit lower, my cordless drill laying on it's side on a level that enables it to be attached to the trimmer. Insert case, put trim pilot into case mouth and start drill to cut, pushing it forward until it hits the pre set stop. In essence a mini lathe, at no extra cost. (I already had the trimmer and drill). I use RCBS trim pro cutter heads that trim and campfer inside and out in one operation. And, best of all, it takes not 5 seconds per case when I get rolling. Repeatability, accuracy and speed... the best of all words; short of buying a dedicated trimmer. The same rig can be used for neck turning by changing the head. You could do the same using most any rotary trimmer by removing the handle and fashoning a stud for the drill using the same diameter bolt cut to an appropriate length.
PS My SIL uses the Lee, he gets it done but I can do three to his one.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Lee Zip Trim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=515804

mounted to a 2x4, set in vise. Use a

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=136199

with a

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=930066

screwed into it.

It will trim the neck perfectly square and exactly the same length.

Hold some 00 steel wool against the case and spin it and you can get rid of your tumbler too (haven't turned mine on in months)!!

Hold a

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=389104

against the neck and you're finished.

You just spent less than $30.00. thumb

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote