New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP ball ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been loading, fairly hot ammo and extra-heavy springs. I would like load down to standard ball (or maybe a little slower).

Can anyone tell me what load = standard ball?

230gr FMJ
Pick a powder, tell me how many grains

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.0gr Bullseye or 7.6gr Unique should get you right about 850-60fps which duplicates FMJ ball ammo.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try from 3.5 - 4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays. You will get ball ammo velocities between 3.5 and 4.0 gr. depending on barrel length. Also for a good source of 230Gr. RN try Rainier. They shoot great.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TROLL EXPOSED!!! TROLL EXPOSED!!! TROLL EXPOSED!!!

Pecos45 = ScottS = craigster = Judy = James Smith - a useless POS dumb troll!!!

Quote:

5.0gr Bullseye or 7.6gr Unique should get you right about 850-60fps which duplicates FMJ ball ammo.

Posts: 204 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I think 7.6 gr. of Unique under the 230 gr. ball is a bit hot. I've been shooting the CT Match and that tops out at 7 gr. of Unique. Please, buy a manual.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Hobie, You're correct, 7 grs. of Unique is what he's looking for, 7.6 is over max by.3grs. in my Hornady manual, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5.5 grs. of Winchester 231 makes a nice hardball load.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was thinking (but not sure about the CRS) that 7 gr. was hot in some pistols. It works good with the CT Match though!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If my memory serves, 5.3 grains of Bullseye or 231 makes a good hardball load. I believe my 45s with Nowlan barrels only required 6.8gr of Unique to make major (old power factor = 175 =velocity*grain weight of bullet/1000). White box Winchester makes a power factor of 185 consistently. PMC makes 190 or more.

All loading should be done to the weapon in question and the above data should not be used as starting loads!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You guys are right, 7.6grs Unique is way too hot. 6.9 or 7.0 would be about right. Thanks for pointing it out. Must have been a typo or a brain fart. Makes a good case for not believing everything you read, especially load data posted on the internet

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

You guys are right, 7.6grs Unique is way too hot. 6.9 or 7.0 would be about right. Thanks for pointing it out. Must have been a typo or a brain fart. Makes a good case for not believing everything you read, especially load data posted on the internet

I've been seeing a lot of such "just over the top" data lately. I'd hate to think that somebody is hoping for people who are too cheap to buy a loading manual to hurt themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hobie,
I couldn't agree more. Thanks.
Craig

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 5.3 gr of Red Dot for roughly 850 fps, and have also gotten good results from 5.1 grains of 700X for about the same.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote