Find
Notify
Tools

Adventures in Brass Case Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
While cruise'n the Internet early this morning I came across a video of a guy using his ultrasonic cleaner to clean brass. I've done that! However he was using hot tap water, and added some Lemi Shine

and Mr Clean Liquid. About a table spoon of each to a full tank in the cleaner.

So what the heck! I'll try it!
Two 480 second session in my Chicago Electric Power Tool Ultrasonic Cleaner and my once fired re-sized brass was clean. Even the primer pockets.
Clean pieces in the middle and the uncleaned on the outside.

Cleaned brass after drying at low heat in my convection oven

I did not wipe my cases down before putting them in the solution. I cleaned the 50 pieces in two batches of 25. I also removed the plastic basket. I think the results were better without the basket.
Total time from start to finish cleaning and rinsing, 30 minutes and then 20 minutes in the oven.
I'm impressed!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll be surprize how well just with hot water and dawn dish soap works.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
It sure cleaned the brass nicely. When I use my ultrasonic I just rinse the cleaned brass under the faucet, shake them a bit to remove the excess water and then into a bowl of acetone. They dry a couple of seconds after they come out of the acetone with no residue.

Off topic a bit Rusty, did you ever try roasting your own coffee? Just curious.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ken,
I never did. I am just buying my roasted beans directly from Corrales Coffee Co. in Costa Rica.
Great stuff!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Any solution with 15% citric acid seems to works. Try some hot water and lemon juice.

I don’t know if it works, but checking the MSDS on some of these brass cleaning products, show it as an active ingredient. By the way, citric acid (Victim C) at 15% is a Hazardous material.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I might have to try more LemiShine! My pockets don't get that clean but the brass does. I use Dawn, LemiShine, and the heater in the unit.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
dont forget to tumble in car wax or they will tarnish double fast for some reason.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I actually have a case holder setup for my drill. I take a copper polish impregnated cloth and a couple of passes with that and a quick buff. . .no tarnish brass.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
To much work involved for nothing.The best way to clean brass is in a vibrating tumbler with half green corn cob and half red walnut.They come out super clean in about an hour with no residue on the inside case walls.The fresher the media the faster it takes.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Too bad I gave my tumbler away!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
To much work involved for nothing.The best way to clean brass is in a vibrating tumbler with half green corn cob and half red walnut.They come out super clean in about an hour with no residue on the inside case walls.The fresher the media the faster it takes.

You must use different treated media then the rest of us. Jeweler's rouge does tend to leave a "residue" behind.

Just saying Wink.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Ken,
I never did. I am just buying my roasted beans directly from Corrales Coffee Co. in Costa Rica.
Great stuff!

I understand. What do we need another hobby/chore to deal with.

Ken....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

You must use different treated media then the rest of us. Jeweler's rouge does tend to leave a "residue" behind.

Just saying Wink.

Ken....
Not when mixed with treated corn cob.That is the purpose of mixing it with treated corn.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is the setup I use. The cases shown here for my 300 Apex and 9.3X74R were polished a year ago. Took the case holder off a pull spin case polisher and chucked up in my cordless drill.
Quick pass with impregnated cloth and then buff with rag, and your done.
What is left on the case is no more than that of a factory case.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I like car wax.... it holds the shine

I do think I will get a ultra sonic in the future for pistol brass and AR .223 loading

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote