THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Got lucky - for once - found some .223 Rem dies.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got lucky - for once - found some .223 Rem dies.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got lucky - for once - found some .223 Rem dies.

I've been searching high and low for some .223 Rem dies (either RCBS or Hornady) so I can reload for my new 5.56 AR.

Everywhere I looked was sold out, on back order, etc.

Well, I was out in the garage, tidying up my reloading area when I spied a box of reloading stuff my father-in-law gave to me many years ago.

In the box were Lyman dies for 44 Mag, 30.06, 30-30, 243 and .223 Rem - I couldn't believe my good fortune - 223 Rem, just what I'd been searching for.

Now, where's my question. Hopefully some of you guys have a set of Lyman .223 Rem dies (# 7457111). Are these Lyman .223 dies (I don't if they are small base) gonna work to reload .223 for my AR (being how its a semi-auto and some .223 dies don't do so good with semi-autos.).

Maybe I can stop my search for RCBS or Hornady 223 Remington dies.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had, and have loaded for, an assortment of semi auto rifles over the years. Never used a small base die set for any of them. Load some rounds and find out.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've had, and have loaded for, an assortment of semi auto rifles over the years. Never used a small base die set for any of them. Load some rounds and find out.

Yeah, that's what I figured I do. Maybe I'll be in good shape.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are standard Lyman .223 dies. Don't believe Lyman makes small base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
Those are standard Lyman .223 dies. Don't believe Lyman makes small base.

It seems to me that only RCBS makes the small base kind.

Hack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the old chrome plated Lyman dies from the 1960's and 1970's I believe they were all very tight. If effect they were all small base dies. I got rid of all that I had because if I was not careful I would get bent rims from try to pull the nearly stuck cases out of them.
The only Lyman I use regularly now are 40-65 and that rim is hard to bend or pull off.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote