New
Find
Notify
Tools

accuracy from US GI military brass ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
howdy , can you get really good accuracy from US GI military brass , TW, LC Ra brass ??
many thanks rob

Posts: 5533 | Location: new york | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have got incredible accuracy from 223 LC brass.

I have never got great accuracy from any 308 or 30-06 brass, including LC.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about everyone who shoots Service Rifle in NRA Highpower uses surplus .223 brass even at 600 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GI brass is usually just about the best there is

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great accuracy can be had from most all U.S. military cases. A little case prep is all that is needed, nothing more than most do with commercial cases. I've used U.S. case for extremely accurate loads since '68 in .223, .308 and .30-06. I've also used a lot of '06 cases converted to 6.5-280, 6.5 Swede, 7x57, 7.65 Argentine, 8x57 and .35 Whelen with excellent accuracy.

I keep them sorted by lot, deburr the flash holes on all and true the necks on the 7.62 and '06.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a man trained as a "gunner" (aerial) in WW II. He was telling me once that they practiced, in the beginning, by shooting clay targets and then clay targets from the back of a moving vehicle. (Truck usually). Point is that when two objects are moving, it is different than just one moving target like bird shooting.

b). He also explained that the machine guns were not heavy enough to "return to battery" (and be practical) before the next shot fired. The barrel "whips." They fire a pattern no matter what. And we speculated, he is a gunsmith retired now, that the variation in regular military ammo brass/cartridges may have been calculated to i). save money on QC as in "quality control" AND/BUT ii) to add to the spread of this pattern with which the gunner attacks the target.

C. Audet, match competitor, printed, in the Rifleman, many years ago an analysis of brass, various calibers. Don't think .223 was included. Commercial brass and military match brass were about even for consistency. It was the "regular ammo" brass that varied a LOT! Cheaper? No doubt. "Planned dispersion?" ??LUCK.