New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing powder charges
 Login/Join

<Difranco>
posted
Okay so I went out and shot my first handloaded cartridges. I had acceptable accuracy 1.5" at 100 yds, with only a few flyers. (total of 30 rounds fired). After each shot I inspected all of my cases for over pressure conditions. None found

My load was was 10% below Max. stated in my loading manuals. So this brings me to my next question is how do you increase your charge levels? Do increase a couple grains? A couple of percentage points? How do you determine where to stop?

thanks,
difranco

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on a lot of things. A good loading manual is your best guide to reading pressure and increasing powder charges.

I generally increase powder charges about 2%, usually 1 grain at a time in hunting rifles, until approaching maximum, where I cut that in half.

In a modern bolt action rifle using a high intensity cartridge, resistance to bolt lift is usually the first indication that you have exceeded the pressure limit. It is often accompanied by shiny marks on the case head indicating brass flow into the ejector hole. This is too much pressure, and the load should be reduced at least 5% from that point.

Learning to read primers is tricky, but excessively flattened primers or cratered primers may be an indication of too much pressure. You have to know your rifle and your primers to make a valid comparison.

The fact that you ask this question suggests that you have not studied a good loading manual enough to be reloading. The manual will usually keep you out of trouble if you read and heed it.

[ 09-21-2002, 16:50: Message edited by: KLN ]

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Difranco>
posted
All of my manuals say "start 10% below maximum and work up slowly" , really didnt expand beyond that, except on what what to look for in over pressure situations. I really paid attention to everything my rifle did while testing my rounds. I made a check list on 3x5 cards to review while I was out on the range. Things like listening to the report, how well the case extracted, ease of opening the bolt, gas leakage, loose primers, cratering of primer, primer flattening, puncturing of primer, etc.

I even fired a few factory rounds just for comparison, and the only difference was the factory rounds had a bit stronger recoil.

Difranco

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Difranco -

If you have access to a chronograph, that will be your best friend in determining how far to go.
As has been beaten to death in this and other forums lately, "traditional" pressure signs (sticky bolt lift, primer appearances, case expansion) may, or MAY NOT be true indicators of pressure. If you have a chance, there's a good article by Barsness in the latest Handloader on this subject. He pressure tested some loads he'd been using, developed using traditional methods, and got a few shocks.

The only reliable way, IMO, to know what to do when working up loads, is consult reliable manuals (note the plural), to get an idea of what velocity you should expect from a given combo, and, since velocity/pressure is directly related (not meant to start a firefight - that is a VERY general statement), either:
1. Use a chronograph to tell you when you're approaching maximum expected velocity, hence max pressure.
or
2. Stumble about in the dark. Not meant as a slam, but, unless you have a definitive measuring stick (chrono), how can you tell where you are?

The 'start 10% low' practice is a good one, but, what do you do NEXT without a chrono?
Example - I have two different 308's, both Rem 700's, with 22" barrels. A mild starting load, say 44 I4064 and 150 Speer spitzer will, and has, when fired on the same day, shown a variation of over 100 FPS average velocity between them, so, the faster one may have a "fast" barrel, or, more likely, it has a tighter chamber and/or barrel. If I started 10% low and went up a grain at a time till I got to what the book calls max, I could easily be OVER max in that rifle, and not know it, especially if the 'traditional' signs didn't show up. That particular 308 always requires at least one to two grains less powder, depending on the powder used, to get the same velocities as the other one. The second one follows the manuals pretty closely. Without a chrono, I would never have known.

Shooting Chrony sells used ones for +/- $50.00, and new ones for under $100.00. If you're anything other than a casual loader, they're just about mandatory. You can also use them to aggravate friends/relatives. My brother in law has a 7RMag that, he was convinced, zipped 150's out at 3,200 FPS. When the Chrony popped up "2990" after his first shot, the look on his face was like that commercial - just PRICELESS [Smile] , especially when I said "hey Fred, nice 280 you've got there". Hehehehe.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I work up 1/2 (0.5) grain at a time, load five rounds at each weight level, and stop going up when I get to what I consider an acceptable size group. Then I load up 10 more of those, and verify the grouping ability of that load. In a big game rifle, a 1.5" group is not bad, but I'd work up to perhaps 2 gtains more, and see if group size changes any. If it gets smaller as you go up, fine. If it gets larger, you might get better accuracy by going DOWN a little from your present load to see if groups shrink!! Accuracy is more important than velocity, since you are near a max load anyway. In any case, stop increasing the powder charge AT THE FIRST SIGN of excessive pressures, such as ejector marks on the case head, difficult bolt lift, or primers that appear much more flattened than they were at lower charge levels. If any of these signs show up, DROP BACK DOWN at least two grains, or perhaps more (this depends on what size of cartridge you are using). [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:
"traditional" pressure signs (sticky bolt lift, primer appearances, case expansion) may, or MAY NOT be true indicators of pressure...

...since velocity/pressure is directly related (not meant to start a firefight - that is a VERY general statement...

or

2. Stumble about in the dark. Not meant as a slam, but, unless you have a definitive measuring stick (chrono), how can you tell where you are?

Hey R-WEST, Are you wearing flame-proof skivies? [Big Grin]

Nice post and I can agree with what you said about Velocity and Pressure being related only in a general manner.

Not sure just how long I've had access to various chronographs. Used to use them a good bit myself. Now I rarely bother. That is because I've fired many rifles over the years in the exact same calibers across those chronographs. During those years I found the exact same Loads, using the exact same components, gave widely varying Velocities in "some of them".

In support of your faith in the chronograph, occasionally I could detect the Pressure difference in those rifles as the Velocity varied using good old 0.0001" Micrometers. But, the more of them I compared, the more they showed me that sometimes the results just didn't turn out as the chronograph indicated they should have.

I do agree that a person should use the chronograph information if they have it as one of their Pressure indicators. However, I strongly disagree that it can "stand on it's own" as an infallible Pressure indication method.

Nearly forgot, the way you keep from "stumbling around in the dark" is to compare your Test Loads with a Standard. And of course the very best way to do this is through Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE). (Surely you knew I'd say that. [Wink] )

Hey Difranco, Good question. It would have helped if you had mentioned what the actual cartridge is you are Developing Loads for.

But, I use the following as a general method as you work with a new cartridge for the first time.

Large Magnum size cases(60gr-up of Powder shown as a normal Load) I "normally" increase the Load in 0.5gr increments.

Medium size cases(30-60gr) I move up in 0.2gr-0.3gr increments.

Small cases(less than 30gr) I move up in 0.1gr-0.2gr increments.

I'm never in a hurry to develop a Load, so shooting a few more bullets during Load Development just gives me more "Trigger Time" with that new rifle.

Keep all your Targets(8.5"x11"), Load Data and Pressure Indicator notes in a 3-ring binder so you can look back on what you have tried. Amazing what you can see in that Data when sitting in the old easy chair.

Semper Fi!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Difranco>
posted
I purposefully left out caliber / cartridge because I wanted more general information rather than specific to the cartridge.

So I ordered up a Chrony today from Sinclair International while I was picking up a few other goodys for the loading bench.

As far as 3 ring binder, I have made an Access Database for keeping my info including pictures of targets. Which cross references lot numbers, prices etc. Not much information in it as of yet but it will get there over time. Nice thing here is that I can export queries into excel spreadsheets and create graphs comparing differing features of loads. (i.e. average group size of x brand of primer including all calibers loaded. compared to w, y and z primers)

Difranco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Difranco . One thing I am glad to see is that you are planning to keep good records , just one thing you might want to add to that list , as soon as you find a loading that works , keep a copy with your bank manager [Big Grin] . As for reading pressure signs , I use all the ways that you described plus one that I find quite consistent . It involves taking a factory fired cartridge , and taking measurements of the case head expansion just ahead of the web area , this is a good indication of what is going on at the time of the pressure peak in your specific rifle . You then simply compare your handloads with the factory fired cartridges , using all the signs described by yourself ,and other reloaders . I've been using a Chrony Beta model for the past 3 years now , and this is realy the only way to know how YOUR rifle is taking to a specific loading . Good luck , and good shooting , and never try to squeeze every last bit out of your gun , if you want faster buy bigger [Big Grin]

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For loading big game ammunition there's probably not a lot of need to work up in less than 1 grain increments, nor to fire extended groups with each increment. Especially so if you have a long drive to the range or if it takes a while for your barrel to cool, as it does here in Virginia most of the year.

I'm going to the range today to try a new (for me) way of doing it. I'm taking 50 sized, trimmed cases, primers and priming tool, a couple powders, powder measure & scale, a box of bullets, and a Lee O-frame press (with dies) bolted to a 2x6.

I'm going to clamp the press to a table, put in a seating die, load one round, shoot it over the chrono and repeat, adjusting the powder charge until I reach the velocity I'm looking for. Then I'll load several more to double-check for consistent velocity and accuracy.

With a little luck I may have a load worked out in one afternoon -- by the methods I used to use I would have to take at least 3 trips to the range (45 min. each way). And I'll have the flexibility to experiment with seating depth, crimp, etc., on the spot.

Of course the chronograph is absolutely necessary for this to work.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I start with the lowest charge listed in the manuel and run the first round through my speed trap. If it about right, I proceed in half grain increments until I hit max, at which time I run three shots over my Chrony to see if it's still in tune with the manuel. I shoot at the same target and mark each three shot group as to the load. The marked target will tell the story of the most accurate load, if the powder and bullet combination will work at all. I've tried powder that gave my 4" groups and used the leftover to fertilize my lawn. Once I have a powder bullet combination that groups well, I adjust up or down in 1/10 grain increments to fine tune the load, if it will fine tune. I find that my most accurate loads come in at 1.5 to 2 grains below the listed max in the manuel in question.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

DiFranco, my experience has been to use a 2 grain step with magnum size cases, 1 grain step with 30-06 SIZE cases, and 0.5 grain step wtih smaller cases. THEN, when I find acceptable accuracy, I divide the step by 5 and experiment on either side of the acceptable load. For example, I loaded 55 gr., 56 gr., and 57 gr., in a .280. 56 looked good, so my next loads were 55.6, 55.8, 56.2, 56.4, 56.6. I found a sweet spot between 55.8 and 56.6 so I chose the middle. That will help deal with over or undersized cases, bullet weight variations (yes it does happen), and other variables. Hope this helps!!! I'm very encouraged by your attitude! Keep good records, and EXPERIMENT!
Good shooting.
Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Difranco>
posted
It's to the point now where I think more about reloading than I do money, computers, sex or shooting. I've truely gone mad. Lately, I've been shooting so I can reload.

Difranco

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]
quote:
I've truely gone mad
[Big Grin]

Welcome to the club.

Hey Hot Core - BET says your pressure measuring methods are out to lunch. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Hot Core - BET says your pressure measuring methods are out to lunch. [Smile]

Hey R-WEST, BET??? No idea who or what you are refering to. Would you expand on that a bit?

Granted the Elders that explained CHE & PRE to me were REAL OLD reloaders when they taught me over 4 decades ago. None of them had blown-up anything "accidentally" using those methods and neither have I. [Big Grin]

CHE & PRE are not perfect either. There are "tricks" to using the methods that I rarely see in print when discussing them. And without using the proper methods, CHE & PRE can be misleading too.

I got sucked into the chronograph early on and a few of us managed to waste a whole lot of money on them. I used chronographs long enough to know they can be "very misleading" if used as the only indicator of when to STOP dumping in powder.

Thinking a chronograph provides ANYTHING other than the Velocity of the bullet passing across it is what gets most Rookie Reloaders into Pressures well beyond where they need to be. For example, they chronograph a 308Win and get a Velocity of 2800fps for 4X.Xgr of powder with a 150gr bullet and think, "Huuum, it should be 2900fps for that Primer/Powder/Bullet combination, so I can just keep dumping in powder until I get there!" Maybe and maybe not. That incorrect logic can get them into Pressures where they should not be.

But, I'm still willing to learn. What am I missing???

[ 09-23-2002, 18:36: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hot Core - I was referring to your old friend, Mr. Tibbe. You guys certainly provided a lot of interesting reading in the past. Wonder where he is, haven't seen him around anywhere lately.

You know, I thought my post made sense, in that a chrono would give a guy at least an idea where he was with his loads, maybe I'm wrong (a guy over at HuntChat called it 'incredibly stupid'). If I had feelings, they'd be hurt [Smile]

This is not meant to offend you, but, for the beginning loader, it would seem easier to me for him to read a chrono than to do the precise measurements your system requires.

R-WEST

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Core - I was referring to your old friend, Mr. Tibbe.

Hey R-WEST, AhhHa! I know him as "WET". As far as I know, he still hangs around HA. Since I "try not to" say bad things about folks, I'll say nothing about WET's reloading knowledge. [Wink]

If you go back and look, I originally said I thought you made a:

quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Nice post and I can agree with what you said about Velocity and Pressure being related only in a general manner.

quote:
You know, I thought my post made sense, in that a chrono would give a guy at least an idea where he was with his loads, maybe I'm wrong (a guy over at HuntChat called it 'incredibly stupid'). If I had feelings, they'd be hurt [Smile]

I also agree that you made good sense to me - "a chrono would give a guy at least an idea where he was with his loads." The thing is, I'd imagine "you" are cognizant of other Pressure Indicators in your subconscious as you shoot, whether you realize it or not. Like Visual Primer Condition, Sticky Bolt Lift, Loose Primer Pockets, etc. These things should not be overlooked or ignored by a person just starting out in reloading.

By the way, I've found throughout my life that the only way someone can hurt my feelings with words is "IF" I respect their opinion. So, don't worry about that fellow at HuntChat.

quote:
This is not meant to offend you, but, for the beginning loader, it would seem easier to me for him to read a chrono than to do the precise measurements your system requires.

And Mr.WEST, you have not offended me at all with anything you have said in this post or any post I've ever seen you make. I certainly understand the spirit in which we are discussing this issue and see absolutely nothing malicious in your posts. I hope you see my posts in the same light.

Posts like these, where there is a good spirited debate, are where the Beginners have the very best opportunity to learn a critical portion of reloading which will keep them out of Pressure Problems.

And, in fact I also agree with you that, "...it would seem easier to me for him to read a chrono than to do the precise measurements your system requires." - No doubt in my mind that it is "easier", but they need to use it "along with other Pressure Indicators".

Just because something is "easy", does not necessarily make it better. And from my experience, a chronograph alone, just doesn't provide as large of a "Safety Buffer" as does CHE & PRE.

Plenty of folks I know still use the old "Sticky Bolt Lift" as their only Pressure Indicator. If they were using that method on my Wby U-Lt, they would be way beyond SAFE MAX long before they realized it. It is due to the SAAMI Minimum chamber I was fortunate to get, coupled with a polished Bolt Face(from the factory). The Bolt Lift just doesn't get "Sticky" when you reach SAFE MAX in this rifle.

Where I think a person can get into trouble is when they believe they can "equate" a Velocity to a Specific Pressure Level. "IF" it worked all the time, in every situation, I'd be glad to agree with you. And I'd also go back to using a chronograph. Just keep our disagreemnt in the back of your mind, and somewhere down the road I believe you will understand where I'm coming from.

So, I'd simply encourage you and all reloaders to: Use every Pressure Detection Method available to you.

Best of luck to you Mr.WEST.

<Difranco>
posted
Okay I feel like I just ran into the woods without looking back and wandered off the trail.

PRE & CHE ?

Difranco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Difranco,
If you are reloading to get better accuracy from your rifle you might want to look into the Modified Audette method of working up a load. Check out my string on "Velocity vs Group size," on this forum. It might be of interest to you.
Gene [Smile]

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Okay, Hot Core, looks like we're on the same page. I was worried you might have taken my post opposite of the way it was intended.

Difranco has certainly chosen the proper forum to expand his knowledge.

R-WEST

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Difranco:
PRE & CHE ?

Hey Difranco, PRE = Pressure Ring Expansion and CHE = Case Head Expansion

Both methods have been around since Reloading cartridge cases first began. Real Reloading legends such as Ken Waters and Bob Hagel use them as a normal practice. You can see them mention these Methods in their books. CHE is mentioned in the Forward portion of many Reloading Manuals. I "normally" find PRE to be a better indicator of rising Pressure, but not always. Just last week we saw CHE indicating Pressure was beginning to approach SAFE MAX prior to PRE with a 338-06.

I like PRE because it works on "ALL" cartridges. CHE will not work on some of the old Low Pressure cartridges (Ex: 30-30, 38Spl, etc.) because their SAAMI MAX is below what it takes to create measurable CHE. But, PRE is "ALWAYS" there to be measured.

When using CHE, on some cases you will need to file down the rim slightly in two spots directly across from each other in order to be able to reach the case just past the extraction groove. This measurement spot is in the same place as where the Belt is located on a Belted Magnum case. Or, you can use Thin Blade Micrometers. They are normally quite expensive, but I found my set for $25 in a Pawn Shop.

The Pressure Ring is located just forward of the Belt on a "fired" Belted Magnum case. On a non-Belted case the Pressure Ring is the widest diameter on the "fired" body of the case.

1. Both CHE & PRE require 0.0001" capable Micrometers - Standard style. They begin at $21 from www.wideners.com for an RCBS set and go up from there. (Note: A 0.001" Caliper isn't accurate enough for these measurements.)
2. A box of factory ammo is shot and PRE is measured on each case and then averaged. You will use this value as the Comparative Benchmark Standard. Using Norma or Federal High Energy factory ammo is a good idea since they are both loaded at SAFE MAX.
3. Then those same factory cases are used to Develop your Loads in. When you get 0.0004"-0.0006" CHE - STOP at that Powder amount. CHE above this amount will result in Primer Pockets becoming Loose quickly. Or when your PRE is the same as the Average PRE of the factory ammo - STOP at that Powder amount.
3. CHE is measured from "one specific spot" on the Casehead before firing and then again after firing. The difference is the CHE. For example, if the case measures 0.4700" prior to firing and 0.4705" after firing, then the CHE is 0.0005"
4. PRE is measured by locating the "High Spot" on the Pressure Ring by turning the case between the anvils. You must be careful not to skew the data by "forcing" the case to turn. For example, if the case will "hang" between the anvils(at the High Spot on the Pressure Ring) at 0.4722", but will not hang at 0.4723", use 0.4722" as that PRE.
5. CHE can be measured on the 2nd-6to9 firings depending on the strength of the Loads. PRE can be measured on the 1st-6to9 firings depending on the strength of the Loads. So, 5 firings on 20 cases would be 100 bullets. And before then you will determine what SAFE MAX is for that Load Combination.
6. You need to keep detailed records on a Load Data Sheet to show how much CHE & PRE you get using each specific Load combination.
7. Neck Sizing can not be used while Developing Loads with PRE. Partial-Full Length Resizing is the best way to go. This is because you need the Pressure Ring "resized" to a smaller dimension prior to firing so you can measure the "Expansion"(Duuuuhhh!!!). (I know one guy who has NEVER understood this simple detail.)

Nothing really hard about it. It does take longer than reading the Velocity from a chronograph, but it gives you "First Hand Info" from the weakest-link in the firing process - the case itself.

Since you are using the Factory ammo as the Comparative Benchmark Standard, you know your Loads will be compared to a SAFE SAAMI Standard. Here we get the benefit of the multiple million dollars of Pressure Test Equipment that each Factory uses to establish when to "STOP" dumping in Powder.

And (this is the most important of all) your CHE & PRE results take into account the things measuring Velocity alone can't. IF the Bore condition is tight or rough, or if the chamber is loose or tight, you can still "compare" your results with the information gleaned from how the factory ammo reacted to those conditions. Velocity does not account for them in a SAFE, always accurate manner.

That should be enough to get you started, but I still encourage you to use all Pressure Detection methods you have available to you. If you desire a more detailed version, I have a File on it in Microsoft Word and a Data Sheet in Excel I can email to you.

By the way, I agree with Gene that the Audette Method of Developing Loads is excellent.

Best of luck to you with which ever methods you use.

Hey Mr.WEST, I agree. Being able to discuss the different perspectives on how to perform the same task is the best part of these Forums.

Best of luck to you.