Find
Notify
Tools

Dented Case
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
Occasionally when I apply too much case lube before running the case into the sizing die I get a dent in the shoulder area.

Is that a problem or can I go ahead and load up that dented case?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. The 55-60,000 psi when it fires will take care of the dent. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
I wouldn’t worry about it. The case will fierform back to the shape of the chamber.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make sure it chambers first.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I always was curious about that but just threw away the case to be on the safe side. Now I know better.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Not a problem. The 55-60,000 psi when it fires will take care of the dent. Big Grin

Happens to me on my 300RUM. Sorry if this is a semi-hijack -- could it be the die? I really dont have it happen w. any other cases and I reload 14x calibers.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Happens to me on my 300RUM. Sorry if this is a semi-hijack -- could it be the die?

I guess a die could have impact. The dent is lube being TRAPPED. I've found shoulder angle and length have an impact. You can also have lube that is left in the die. So a good cleaning might be needed. Several years ago I switched to Hornady Unique lube. Just a quick twist of the case between the LITTLE lube on my fingers and off I go. I tap my finger to the lube and pick up enough to lube 6-8 cases. A little goes a looooonnnnnggggg way. I will use a touch of mica inside the neck every few cases. Imperial was is another good choice. I just found Unique as good and half the price. I put NO lube on the shoulder or outside the neck. A large number of my cases are wildcats with minimum taper and 40 deg shoulder and no issues. I can't remember the last time I dented a shoulder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some Dies come with a "Lube Vent"(a small hole) that goes into the Shoulder portion of the Resizing Die. It can get clogged and create a Dent. But it makes no sense because it is easily cleared with a small piece of wire. You would think there is enough Pressure during the Resizing to push the Vent clean.

Anyway, Lube getting onto the Case Shoulder is what causes the problem. When you roll the Case across the Lube Pad, just don't mash it into the Pad.

Clean the Resizing Die and look for the small Vent. Once it is clean, give the inside of the Die a shot of any kind of spray lubricant to keep the Rust away.

It happens to all of us.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had occastion where a dent in the case has changed POI when shot. I think it may be due to increased pressures caused by the dent.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lube by hand, just swab the lower half of the case. I use Hornady's beeswax lube on my 300WSM cases, and do just the lower half. That is where the real pinching is. If you've ever stuck one and when you pull it out, you'll see the galling on the case right down toward the bottom. When I resize hundreds of .223Rem cases, I use a very light spritz of Walmart cooking spray (cheap-- $2.00 a can), and then I roll them around and tumble them through my fingers until the whole case has a very thin layer of oil on it. They resize just fine, and clean off quite easily in hot water and dish soap. Been doin' it like this for about five years. Never stuck a one...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
I have had occastion where a dent in the case has changed POI when shot. I think it may be due to increased pressures caused by the dent.

Possibly a concentricity problem as well..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
If you lube by hand, just swab the lower half of the case. I use Hornady's beeswax lube on my 300WSM cases, and do just the lower half.

I do the same with Imperial sizing die wax, keeping it FAR away from the shoulder.
I do use Powdered Graphite inside and outside the neck though. Best combo I've found in 62 years of reloading.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it may be due to increased pressures caused by the dent.

I have never seen an accuracy problem caused by a dent in the shoulder. I do have trouble seeing how a dent would raise the pressure. Confused It will blow out same as the neck and body. A concentricity issue would be eaiser for me to grasp.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I think it may be due to increased pressures caused by the dent.

I have never seen an accuracy problem caused by a dent in the shoulder. I do have trouble seeing how a dent would raise the pressure. Confused It will blow out same as the neck and body. A concentricity issue would be eaiser for me to grasp.

Me too.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To look on the bright side, I'd rather have an occassional oil can than a stuck case. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Just keep your dies clean and use Hornady One Shot. Have loaded about 10k with that stuff with no problems--not one.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A set of .223 dies I purchased some years ago had a teeny, tiny piece of kak stuck to the shoulder. Sized around 50 before noticing it as a dent on the brass. Shone a torch down the die and there it was. A WD40 bath overnight softened it sufficiently for scraping with a lolly pop stick. Dunno what it was but the dies were affected none the worse... They were Lee btw

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote