New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand Light Bullet Loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im wondering if anyone has loaded 125 gr bullets in the garand and what results you had? Im interested in making a varmint load, but not planning on pushing them too fast. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The garand is not a rifle that I would term a varmit rifle. Frankly, if you are going to use a 30-06 for fox/coyotes, you might as well stick with a load in 150 or 168 grs. there won't be much left anyway. Use a match bullet so you can say that it's a hollow point and not a FMJ, if your state requires that, and so you could possibly salvage the hide.

My advise is....find another rifle/round to use. Good luck.

Posts: 8 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott
Colt100 has given you some sound advice!
Due to the deaign of the Garand's gas system/op rod,port pressure is very important! Therefore up or down loading for this rifle is not recomended.
Bent op rods and malfunctioning M1's are the usual result.
Better to save the Garand for CMP Matches/ NRA Highpower or informal shooting with quality surplus, or hand loads that attempt to mirror the millitary loadings.

good luck

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded my Springfield M1 with the R-P 125 gr. bulk bullet with good results. I only tried a few but they showed promise. I used 48.0 gr. of 4895 data powder and accuracy was good. I had a few failures to feed due to the light loading. I think a littler tinkering would have elemintated the FTF's. Best group shot from the bench was 1.5 MOA. Were I still competeting with the M1, I would refine this load and use it as my 100 yard High Power load.

NRA Life.
Walk softly, but carry...

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote