Find
Notify
Tools

? .243 Win .loads for 55-58gr. bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
TO ALL,
I have a Remington 700 with a Shilen S.S. Ultra Select Match barrel in 1X14" twist. I have been shooting Hornady 58gr. Moly V-Max ammo with great results. I would like to try some Noslers and V-Max bullets in hand loads. The Noslers are 55gr. and the Hornady's are 58gr.

Any recommendations for this weight/twist??

Thank you for your time in responding.
Regards,
SAM
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
First things first. Measure the OAL of one of those factory Horady VMAX's. You'll see it is about 2.595 to 2.600". The bullet is DEEP in the case. You'll be wasting your time and material if you don't seat these light bullets deep. The Noslers should also be around 2.595" OAL.

Now.

If you want speed, H380 is what to use. With Nosler's accuracy load of 53.0 grains of H380, you should exceed 4000 fps. I'd back down to about 52 grains with the 58 grain VMAX.

About 45 to 45.5 grains of Varget is a good choice for the Nosler load. Use the CCI 200 primers.

One of my most accurate 58 grain Hornady loads is 40.5 grains of IMR 3031. That's a max load, but it's very accurate.

Folks are reporting good results with 44.5 grains of IMR 4895 with the Noslers. Another load would be 45.5 grains of IMR 4064.

Nosler says the most accurate powder tested for their 55 grain BT in the .243 is H414, using a charge of 52.5 grains for 3982 fps.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
green788,
Many thanks. This gives me plenty to start with. It will be several weeks before I load for this rifle since we are still doing some development on our DG rifles for our Tanzania trip. I will post the results. I wanted to get a start in ordering powder,etc.

Did you know Preston Harris from your area?

Regards,
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
No, I don't think I recall a Preston Harris. Where exactly is (was?) he from?

If you're going to be ordering powder for the .243, I think I'd go with Varget. You should be able to do more with the Varget than with any of the others I mention. I included the other data in case you had those powders on hand already.

Varget is extremely versatile, and can be used in a lot of other calibers with good results.

Take care,

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
DAN
Varget is about the only powder that we don't have on hand at the moment, but will.

Preston was the manager & pilot at the county airport and crashed and killed himself a few years back, while attempting to land in bad weather, in a twin. He was a very good friend of mine.

I'll start on the .243 in alittle bit. We have to finalize a few loads for some .375's and one .416. I don't hunt groundhogs until May is here. It gives the pups a chance to be weened.(more targets too).

I'll report back. Thanks.
SAM

<green 788>
posted
Sam,

I remember hearing about Preston now that you mention him. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

You're a decent man for waiting on the little pigs to get weaned before sniping their mums! Yes, that makes for more targets later on, no doubt!

I have an acquaintance who once shot a mother groundhog, and upon inspection of her body he found two little ones stirring around, totally confused.

He took the little things home, bottle fed them, and kept them both as pets! He said they would use a litter box so long as it was filled with dirt. (They didn't like kitty litter!) It seemed that the two groundhogs had an affinity for Shredded Wheat cereal biscuits, and would whistle for them every morning at around 6 a.m. (I might have been tempted to send them to see their mother about then!) They would stand erect, holding the cereal biscuits, and munch away, cute little things, I'm sure.

But what the hell, I blast 'em anyway! Just heartless I guess !

green 788