Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where can you source a 24" drop tube?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eez:
When I was loading BP for my .45-70 and 45-120, I made my own drop tube loading "bracket" out of wood and a homemade drop tube.
The tube I used was the hollow tubing you can get at an electrical supply store made from brass. It was threaded on both ends as I recall and was about 2' long. It's the hollow stuff you would use in a homemade lamp to run the zip cord thru. At the time, I had a brass (maybe bronze) funnel threaded on the small end that screwed perfectly to the end of the tube. I personally would not use copper tubing as it flexes very easily and I think would be a real hassle. You should be able to buy this stuff as a kit which includes a couple of brass nuts and (I think) washers. I used a washer and nut on the end of the tube that went into the case, thus setting the depth the tube was in the case. This entire setup worked very well for it's intended purpose..
Hope this helps some.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear,

I was just researching this on the net and also heard comments about a graphite arrow shaft which I have plenty. Also read to just put your loading block next to a vibrating case cleaner and it will settle the powder. This would appear a more effective method?? May give it a try this evening.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I made on from an aluminum arrow shaft.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Bear,

I was just researching this on the net and also heard comments about a graphite arrow shaft which I have plenty. Also read to just put your loading block next to a vibrating case cleaner and it will settle the powder. This would appear a more effective method?? May give it a try this evening.

EZ

Yup! Now that you've mentioned it, I remember reading about it.
B.I.F.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote