Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

un decided whitch way to go ?
 Login/Join

posted
im a begginer.should i go with say a lee kit to start out an see how it goes ?or go ahead a save alitle longer n buy something alitle stronger as far as presses go ?also other ?kit verses buyen a piece at a time for quilty ?my thinking is buy the lee to start n then up grade as i find out how much i get into reloading .but dont want to buy equipment that i have to chunk because it wont do it job .i usaly find what i like to do the job n stick with it from then on .not much for change.IVE also had to go buy glasses because of reading 2 all most 3 reloading books .lol first books ive ever read front to back .

Posts: 20 | Location: alabama | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a semi serious shooter who will load a lot of ammo, you'll save in the long run by getting a better set. I like the Bonanza/Forster press if you change calibers a lot. I'd rather buy one of these or a Rockchucker used than a cheap outfit.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly advise that you save for the RCBS kit, but if you're a pistol shooter I'd aim you you toward Redding's turret press.

Usually cheaper is better, but with tools & equipment cheaper isn't always better. A factory lug wrench will get your spare tire on in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to rotate your tires with it, and if you did, the money you saved by not buying that torque wrench will be spent on new brake rotors because the old rotors will warp from uneven torque.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'l fly in the face of conventional wisdom. If you are loading for pistol go progressive. You'll get a single stage and load your first 50 rounds in two days and shoot them in 20 minutes. If you know a reloader/handloader learn the process on their equipment. If you shoot rifle and pistol get the Rockchucker to learn on and load rifle, but start saving for a progressive for pistol.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say buy the best tools the first time.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt that you'll be doing any reloading that a Lee won't handle.
If you had a mentor to help you pick and choose, it would be nice as every kit has some good stuff and some filler. If not, a kit is the easiest way.
Before you buy anything, you ought to buy one or more load books. Lyman and Hornady are good ones but there are several more. Read the books cover to cover. That will give you a better understanding of reloading and will help you decide which way to go.
You also ought to go to a gun shop and have them show you a Lee Loader. When you have the few pieces spread out on the counter, know that is ALL you need to reload a cartridge. Everything else people will suggest you buy is "nice to have" stuff.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I purchased an RCBS kit about ten years ago and I really like it. But if I had to do it over I might have bought the Lee kit to start then upgraded once I got a better idea what I wanted. The Lee kit is great for beginniners because it works and is so cheap. If you enjoy reloading you will most likely decide to upgrade to an RCBS or other later and you can keep the Lee as a spare or give it away, you'll only be out $60.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
There are Lee single stage presses out there ebing used on a daily basis that are older than me. Im 27...

Look at each kit, do some research and see which kit you want. Myself personally I purchasd the Hornady Kit from Midwayusa for $324. It had literally everything except a case trimmer. SO im waiting for the matching Hornady case trimmer to get in stock. Otherwise all I had to buy was dies then my powder, bullets and primers. Now its all sitting in my mothers guest bedroom in Nc waiting for me to get home from Korea. Im sure I will add to it while im here for all the calibers I want to load and also when I come up on powder and bullets I want to use.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MB,
I'm a strong advocate of the individual piece approach. The Lee stuff is pretty much compromised from the get go. If someone has a fetish for red plastic it may have worth, but it has little appeal for me. I'll suggest that you use this forum's excellent SEARCH function and read up on all of the different brands of equipment. Using the advanced mode, you can get to what you want easily. There has been a lot written that you'll be looking for, and you'll get to see all of the different opinions on quality and value. I've written a bit of it myself, but you will get a broad spectrum of input.

What isn't obvious to you now is how powder dispensing comes into play in your loading process. Most of the rifle powders are problematic, making mechanical powder measures of compromised worth. If you load enough, the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo is very practical if affordable. The alternative is to hand weigh every charge. A good beam scale and trickler can be used with the Lee dippers very effectively, and it makes for an economical loading setup. Combine either powder facility with a good quality press, and you have built your own kit. The accessories in a kit are mediocre and not necessarily useful, and you will be ahead by picking some better quality stuff; Sinclair is a good source. Get their catalog; it's an education in its own right.

Without going on further here, just make some SEARCHES and read for yourself. In time, you should be able to decide what you want. Graf and MidSouth Shooters Supply are good sources. Ask questions when you have them.

Congratulations on your new eyes.

Ever read any Mark Twain or Faulkner short stories? They're available in paperback.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
buying good stuff the first times saves you the money of buying the cheap stuff and then working your way up. if money is short - don't forget the 2nd hand stuff. usually its a great buy

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Buy the best equipment you can afford. I have a RCBS single stage and if i want faster i have a LEE classic cast turret press which is in between a single stage and progressive. Yep i got talked into a lee figureing if i don't like it, I'll ebay it, But i really do like it alot. Put's out some very good ammo at a reasonable rate. I MIC and trickle every round so it takes me a bit longer and they are well within the tolerance of my single stage but faster. Don't get the cheaper aluminum turret press if you look at em, Get the cast one. You can find some good prices on whichever press you choose online. If your looking for cheap i have a RCBS junior 2 single stage press and a lyman 55 powder measure that are in great shape i'll give a good deal on. With the purchase of a few other things you need it would get ya going but if your gonna do alot of large caliber stuff you may want a bigger press for sizeing the big stuff but i have loaded up to 338 win mag on both the Junior 2 and the lee and both do a fine job.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icemanls2:
Buy the best equipment you can afford. I have a RCBS single stage and if i want faster i have a LEE classic cast turret press which is in between a single stage and progressive. Yep i got talked into a lee figureing if i don't like it, I'll ebay it, But i really do like it alot. Put's out some very good ammo at a reasonable rate. I MIC and trickle every round so it takes me a bit longer and they are well within the tolerance of my single stage but faster. Don't get the cheaper aluminum turret press if you look at em, Get the cast one. You can find some good prices on whichever press you choose online. If your looking for cheap i have a RCBS junior 2 single stage press and a lyman 55 powder measure that are in great shape i'll give a good deal on. With the purchase of a few other things you need it would get ya going but if your gonna do alot of large caliber stuff you may want a bigger press for sizeing the big stuff but i have loaded up to 338 win mag on both the Junior 2 and the lee and both do a fine job.

This is good advice. Many new relaoders buy to much press. Few shooters need a progressive. If you are shootign 1000rds/m you could use one but don't need one. A single stage press will get you 60rds/hr so if you shoot 100rds a week of handgun ammo, that is only costing you 2hrs a week in loading time. Do buy good equip. THe Lee is crap, always has been, always will be. It's why it's so cheap. If you want to go cheap, the Lee classic cast single stage is useful. Get a Dillon beam scale, Hornady powder measure & whom ever dies you wish, a few other odds & ends. You can make good ammo w/ that setup. I suggest The ABCS of Reloading beore you buy anything.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
let me see -most folks recamend that lee is somthing that i probly will put off to the side n buy other equipment.ok ive decided to buy a redding turret press .ive got the books ive ben reading so far bought one every other wkend.from what ive read powder measurer might be one of the most important pieaces.LIKE I SAID JUST STARTING OUT but want to buy as good as i can with in reasonable price .witch powder measurer would be best bang for the buck ???? thx for such a great bunch a folks willin to help others start a great hobby .this is somthing i can do by my self ,shoot with my family .and most important i can stay out of trouble lol.

Posts: 20 | Location: alabama | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainboy:
let me see -most folks recamend that lee is somthing that i probly will put off to the side n buy other equipment.ok ive decided to buy a redding turret press .ive got the books ive ben reading so far bought one every other wkend.from what ive read powder measurer might be one of the most important pieaces.LIKE I SAID JUST STARTING OUT but want to buy as good as i can with in reasonable price .witch powder measurer would be best bang for the buck ???? thx for such a great bunch a folks willin to help others start a great hobby .this is somthing i can do by my self ,shoot with my family .and most important i can stay out of trouble lol.

Good on you! I'm glad you considered the the Redding turret press. I suggest you consider the Redding powder measure too, but as one poster pointed out, the RCBS Charge Master is tough to beat.

Now you must consider whether or not to trust in battery operated technology, or go mechanical. The RCBS offering will help your productivity, but a mechanical measure will work any time, any where. BTW, I'm not a technophobe, I'm just making suggestions.

Lastly, start low & work up. This is valuable where reloads are concerned, and equally valuable where hard cash is spent on equipment that you might not use as often as thought. Anyway, as time goes on you're bound to develop some equipment preferences.
Happy huntin'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A powder measure is important but, in a pinch, you can get by with a bowl of powder and a teaspoon. --don't ask me how I know. I would suggest that one of your first purchases should be a good balance beam scale.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree get a beam scale first I have a Charge master but I keep going to my Redding beam for load development setting up the charge master for a few loads is a pain. A good beam in my opinion is the Hornady cheap on EBay just seems well built I sold mine thinking needed more green on the bench now color not so important. And if you go with a powder measure the Redding is easier to set. My .02

Be safe Alan

Posts: 6 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best powder measures are the Redding high dollar ones and the Culver-type measures from Sinclair, etc. None of them is good with stick powders. When you've bought one of those and a good scale, you are still looking at weighing your own charges. The Chargemaster Combo is simply a more convenient approach; compare the prices. SEARCH and see for yourself; there's a lot written on it.

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
The Redding T-7 is a nice press, Congrats. I bought the Lee turret on a what the heck moment just because i've never tried a Lee product, Not even a die. I'm just saying it works quite well for what it is. I have 2 RCBS single stages for the serious stuff. The Redding should serve you well and last a lifetime.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'll be the contrary one here and suggest a Lee kit.

This one is on sale for $81:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=423081

Here is my opinion about Lee stuff- sometime you'll have to fiddle with everything to get it working properly. If you are not a tinkerer type of mentality you may not be happy with their stuff. At the same time, if you are and are just getting your feet wet in reloading it is about the most economical way to get up and running. Once you are set up and reloading frequently you will most likely start upgrading your tools but it is always nice to have extra/duplicate items on the bench, whether it is an extra press that you are using for a particular taper crimp die, or an infrequently used powder measure that you have set up for some caliber you only load a few times a year.

Anyway, most likely once you get some experience you will want to start upgrading (just like everyone else here) but then you will have an idea of stuff/features that YOU want to have important to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in the saying that "when you buy quality, you only cry once" but especially if money is an issue right now buy a Lee kit and spend the extra couple hundred you would have to spend getting anything else on powder and bullets and you'll be better off in the long run.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote