Find
Notify
Tools

Full size dies for neck sizing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
It looks like I'm going to "HAVE to" get into shooting the 50 BMG. Not a lot and not often (darn), but I will have to reload. I've got a great press with 1 1/4" big hole, and it looks like Lee is the only firm making 50 BMG dies in this size. Can I "Short stroke" the round to only neck size the brass? the entire round is tapered about 0.085" from base to shoulder. About 50 rounds a year.
TIA like always

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
It looks like I'm going to "HAVE to" get into shooting the 50 BMG. Not a lot and not often (darn), but I will have to reload. I've got a great press with 1 1/4" big hole, and it looks like Lee is the only firm making 50 BMG dies in this size. Can I "Short stroke" the round to only neck size the brass? the entire round is tapered about 0.085" from base to shoulder. About 50 rounds a year.
TIA like always
It is a technical" thing",how "is the recoil for the .5BMG...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I don't know yet. Maybe this weekend. I might have some video. I'll have to shoot factory ammo first to check the velocities.

Anyone know about partial resizing?

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have fired a BOYS AT rifle, that was rebarreled to 50BMG. Recoil was very manageable from the prone postion. Rifle was in the 28# range. That said, it was also very loud with the tank style muzzel brake. The grass was laid down at the shot, for about 5-6 ft. on each side of the brake. Still, a fun to shoot round.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
I dont know about the 50, but its still a bottleneck shell. I did that on my 22 hornet - 30-06 and it worked just fine, just turn the die down till it just does touch the shell body but no more.

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know yet. Maybe this weekend. I might have some video. I'll have to shoot factory ammo first to check the velocities.

Anyone know about partial resizing?
Partial resizing ,I adjust the f/L die to leave a gap betwween the shell holder and the die,near 1/16 turn before touching the die with shell holder,the shoulder is not"worked" and less metal fatigue is induced in this area,getting between .002-.003"( "headspace"),rounds need to chamber.Using your f/l sizer to neck size the neck;you will probably be able to size only 1/8" of the neck,depends on the dimensions of your chamber( tension grip on the bullet?).Another method is P-FLR,first adjust the f/l sizer to make contact with shell holder,after that adjust it 1/4 turn deeper.( BACKING UP THE SHOULDER BETWEEN .001"-.003".F/L rezising adjust it to 1/3 to 1/2 turn(BACKING UP THE SHOULDER .003-.006")...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Collins
Welcome to the FUN of the big 50. I have been at it for two seasons now.
I neck size with CH and 4D dies.
Yes you can "partially" size with full length dies as described by rejpelly. Not as accurate as using designed necksizing dies. But I doubt very many riflemen will notice the difference.
Just MHO
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a general rule this is a no-no in reloading, for many reasons. When you neck size with FL dies this can cause the headspace to increase. This is because as you are moving the case up into the die, the case walls are getting constricted, without getting the shoulders bumped back.
Most competition shooters (most of whom never neck size) would tell you to never do this.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnemmers:
As a general rule this is a no-no in reloading, for many reasons. When you neck size with FL dies this can cause the headspace to increase. This is because as you are moving the case up into the die, the case walls are getting constricted, without getting the shoulders bumped back.
Most competition shooters (most of whom never neck size) would tell you to never do this.

I'm very new to the .50 BMG, but with the generous taper I would not have thought the case would be "sized" if I only went 7/8ths or so to the shoulder. After spending ($!!!) on the Steyr I guess I'm just being cheap and wanting to use my 1-1/4" press and only FL die's come in that size. Also, after being on this board for 1 year and 3 days I have to say I thought ALL competition bolt shooters neck sized exclusivly to maintain brass "Custom" fitted to their gun. Am I wrong? Thanks for the Help.

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought ALL competition bolt shooters neck sized exclusivly to maintain brass "Custom" fitted to their gun. Am I wrong?
That used to be what the majority of the BR folks did and probably still do. But there is a growing segment of the BR folks that are going to Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR) due to better accuracy over Neck Sizing.

Easy enough for anyone to prove to themselves by simply running a Blind Comparison Test. Take some Neck Sized cases and P-FLRed cases and let your buddy hand them to you without knowing which is which. I've always done better with P-FLRed cases, but if someone else believes neck Sizing is more accurate for him, then that is what he should use.

quote:
...with the generous taper I would not have thought the case would be "sized" if I only went 7/8ths or so to the shoulder. ...
You "might" be correct. It depends on the size of the Chamber. And how well the Chamber dimensions match up with the Full Length Sizing Die dimensions.

If the Chamber is out near SAAMI MAX and the Dies are near SAAMI MIN, then the case will probably expand enough at the Pressure Ring so that as the FL Die moves down the case wall (as the Caseneck is being resized) it will probably begin reforming the Casewall to a smaller diameter.

That is great though, cause it allows you to easily P-FLR the cases.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
That all makes sense to me...

So, How far off the shell holder do you keep the base of the sizing die for P-FLR?

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, How far off the shell holder do you keep the base of the sizing die for P-FLR?

1. Put the Shell Holder in the Press and raise the Ram. Screw the FL Die into the Press so there is a gap similar to the thickness of a nickel for regular size cartridges. It may be the same for a 50cal, but you will have to experiment a bit and see. It is dependant on how well the dimensions of your firearm's Chamber and the FL Die match up, so there is no specific measurement to give you.

2. Lube a case, squash it, wipe off the lube and try it for fit in the chamber.

It should fit as loose as if it had not been resized at all. Then screw the FL Die into the press about 1/8th turn and repeat #2. Continue doing this until the bolt begins getting difficult to close. At this point, only screw the FL Die into the press 1/16th turn and re-try.

You might get to a point where the Bolt will not close at all. That is because the Case-shoulder has been pushed forward due to the sides of the Case being reformed as the FL Die makes more contact with it.

Screw the FL Die in a bit more, repeat #2, and you will eventually reach a point where the bolt will close with just a bit of resistance. You are now P-FLRing the case and it has "Zero Headspace"(actually a slight crush fit) for your specific chamber.

Set the FL Die Lock Ring and make sure when you remove the Die and screw it back in that it returns to the same position by doing a few more cases. Occasionally you will need to make some slight adjustments to the Lock Ring, but just make small changes.

Once you do this, it is rare you need to re-adjust for P-FLR.
---

You can still "Smoke the Case-neck" to help get an idea of when the FL Die begins to contact the Case-shoulder. The FL Die will need to push the Case-shoulder back slightly so the bolt can close. But, you can totally skip the neck-smoking if you want to.

The entire P-FLR Set-Up is done by "Feel". No extra Gauges or measurement devices are needed or wanted.
---

To Full Length Resize(as all ammo taken into Dangerous Game Country should be), screw the FL Die in a bit more so the bolt closes on the case with the same resistance felt before the case was resized. This creates a slight bit of Headspace, but it reduces the possibility of a Jam when faced with a high stress event.

If the particular firearm has a Spring Ejector, there will be a slight bit of resistance as that spring is compressed.
---

If you choose to try the Neck Sizing, smoke the Case-neck and only resize about 1/2 the neck. Your particular rifle might shoot better with Neck Sized cases, but I prefer P-FLR because the Case CenterLine is forced into alignment with the Chamber CenterLine as it is held in compression between the bolt-face and chamber-shoulder.
---

Pass it on when people ask "How do you P-FLR?" Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you neck size with FL dies this can cause the headspace to increase. This is because as you are moving the case up into the die, the case walls are getting constricted, without getting the shoulders bumped back.

Exactly what can happen. Most dies (if not all) work depending on how the chamber is cut vs. the dimensions of the die. It is common to have a chamber with some wild dimension not matched by the die, or vice-versa. I have neck dies that size a portion of the cartridge body...

If you decide to try your hand at partial full length sizing, and you find the walls of your case sized, before you have adjusted the die far enough down to hit the shoulder, you will actually be increasing the head-shoulder dimension on the case - as opposed to (minimally) reducing it.

The bad thing is, we are all told to use the "feel" method for partial full length sizing. The theory goes, when you gradually turn down your FL die, you'll eventually JUST touch the shoulder, and by minimally setting that back, you'll get that "just so" feel when you close the bolt. Sad thing is, that "just so" feel when closing the bolt could also come from other parts of the case JUST getting touched by the sizer. How much or how little you have managed to set your shoulder back in the procedure, totally depends on dimensions of die vs. chamber.

So, if you want to be sure, you'll have to find a way of measuring your head-shoulder case dimension after firing vs. after sizing. There are several gauges (e.g. RCBS) available to do this, I'm not about to recommend any of them. I have used the Stoney Point Head-Space Gauge, and it seems to work decently, in particular in view of the price you pay for it. A lot of people are leery, though, citing varying measurements. In any event, I believe it is better to measure (no matter how imperfect the methods) rather than go by "feel".

Stay safe.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That all makes sense to me...

Concernig partial resizing,I have two rifles,the.30-378WBY has a sloopy chamber,long chamber etc...,standard dies wont work(Rcbs,Redding,they crush cases just below the shoulder,I use a Forsre f/l sizer,adjust it for partial sizing,the gap between the shell holder and the dies is.011".The .338RUM I can use standard Rcbs,gap is less than .001" for partial sizing.How you will able to set your dies depends on the dimensions of your chamber,dies,shell holder.You said If you decide to try your hand at partial full length sizing, and you find the walls of your case sized, before you have adjusted the die far enough down to hit the shoulder, you will actually be increasing the head-shoulder dimension on the case - as opposed to (minimally) reducing it What is wrong with that,if one has a long chamber or badly cut,out of chamber dimensions, one needs to find a way to get accuracy,when neck sizing doesnt work...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rejpelly:
You said If you decide to try your hand at partial full length sizing, and you find the walls of your case sized, before you have adjusted the die far enough down to hit the shoulder, you will actually be increasing the head-shoulder dimension on the case - as opposed to (minimally) reducing it What is wrong with that,if one has a long chamber or badly cut,out of chamber dimensions, one needs to find a way to get accuracy,when neck sizing doesnt work...

Was that a comment for me rejpelly?? If yes, I'll have a go at an answer: nothing wrong with that. It is a fact of life, if often somewhat overlooked.

I (and other reloaders?) was worried about creating excessive headspace when using my FL sizing die. So I did not adjust my die down far enough to actually bump the shoulder. Result: cases that chambered really hard. It is certainly possible to shoot cartridges with excessive head-shoulder dimensions, at least in most bolt actions - other action types may be less forgiving. BUT, there are disadvantages apart from having a case that chambers hard. The standard problem cited is greater danger of bolt lugs galling. The BR people don't like it, because a hard chambering case disturbs the rifle on its bagged position. Personally, I believe excessive head-shoulder dimensions have a good chance of causing flyers - but I have little way of actually proving this, other than cite my observations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing accuracy by trying different sizing techniques. Poorly matched chamber/die diemensions makes this a good deal more tricky. I'm not advertizing neck sizing as a solution to all accuracy problems. In fact, most of us find it necessary to bump the shoulder from time to time, lest we experience the problems associated with cases outgrowing their chambers. So my statement about making head-shoulder dimensions grow with a FL sizing die, was just an attempt to share some of my (modest) reloading experience with other posters. I was caught by adjusting my die incorrectly in the name of caution. That turned out to be an error, and I had been wondering whether other posters had seen the same effect.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
When you neck size with FL dies this can cause the headspace to increase. This is because as you are moving the case up into the die, the case walls are getting constricted, without getting the shoulders bumped back.

Exactly what can happen. ...
I believe you all have accidentally gotten the definition of "Headspace" confused. Headspace is the amount of distance between the Boltface and Casehead when the case is inserted into the Chamber as far forward as it will go.

For an Example in this discussion only,
1. Let's temporarily define Chamber length as x.x50" on a measurement from the Boltface to the datum point on the Chamber shoulder.
2. Let's temporarily define Case length as a measurement from the Casehead to the datum point on the Case shoulder.

A new un-fired factory case may measure x.x47" and the same case after firing may measure x.x48".

To follow the above logic, initially as "the case walls are getting constricted"(by the FL Die body) it causes the distance to lengthen between the Casehead and datum point on the Caseshoulder and it can go to say x.x49". If that Case is then placed in the Chamber and the Bolt closed, the Headspace is actually reduced from the Spent Case dimension by 0.001".

Continue screwing the FL Die into the press will result in say a "Case length" of x.xx50", x.x51", x.x52", x.x53", x.x54", x.x53", x.x52", x.x51", x.x50", x.x49", x.x48", x.x47" as the process continues.

When the Caselength is x.x50", you have obtained "Zero Headspace".
P-FLR would be the x.x51"-x.x52" length, for a slight crush-fit.
You may not be able to close the Bolt at x.x53" and x.x54".
As you go below x.x50", you begin Full Length Resizing and are beginning to [c]create[/b] Headspace once again.
---

When I P-FLR, I attempt to set the Lock Ring on the FL Die so the Case length is at the second x.x51". When this happens, I know the entire Case neck has been resized and the Pressure Ring reduced so I can measure Pressure Ring Expansion again. The Case is held in compression between the Bolt face and datum point on the Chamber shoulder. And that forces the CenterLine of the Case to be in alignment with the CenterLine of the Chamber.

From a Mechanical Fit standpoint, the P-FLRed case has the "potential" to be more accurate than a Neck Sized case. And that is the way it works in all my rifles.

Still no argument with people who believe Neck Sizing is the way to go for them though.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

In your example above, what would the theoretical measurement be of a fired case that has been neck sized, say 5 times, and needs the shoulder bumped back?

And in the definition of headspace - when the case is chambered, doesn't the casehead get pushed back against the bolt face and the headspace gap then get transferred to the front between the case shoulder and the chamber shoulder?

I'm having good results from using Lee Collet Neck Sizers and for moving the shoulder back a Redding Body Die but the adjustment at the critical points between the measurements in your example of x.x54" and x.x51" are miniscule and hard to get exactly there without bypassing it. The Stoney Point Head and Shoulders Gauge I'm using can be inconsistent and I wonder if there is a better tool?

hijack boohoo

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...In your example above, what would the theoretical measurement be of a fired case that has been neck sized, say 5 times, and needs the shoulder bumped back?
That is the choice of the Reloader and is a function of how "hot" they load their cases and the cases themselves. So it just depends on how hard the Bolt "feels" to close. They may want to "bump back" at x.x51" or even a bit more, it just depends on how they like the Bolt to close.

For example, I noticed Steve mentioned in a different Thread that he "only" Neck Sizes and doesn't bother with other Dies at all. Apparently he does right well that way from looking at his groups. But he didn't mention if the effort required to close the Bolt increases to a point and he stops using the cases, or if he just gorilla arms the Bolt closed.

quote:
And in the definition of headspace - when the case is chambered, doesn't the casehead get pushed back against the bolt face and the headspace gap then get transferred to the front between the case shoulder and the chamber shoulder?
In a "Push Feed" rifle or any rifle with a Spring Ejector, the force of the Ejector holds the case forward in the Chamber. On a "new" SAAMI dimension case, it will force the Case to be slightly skewed - not much but a little when it is strong enough to overcome the "weight" of the case. Otherwise, the Case would just lay on the bottom of the Chamber and be slightly skewed from the CenterLine.

On a Controlled Feed rifle or those that have the "Fixed Ejectors", a "new" SAAMI dimension Case has the potential to move around a bit. It is either stopped moving forward by the Extractor, the datum point on the Shoulder, the front of the Belt or the front of the Rim on cases like a 30-30. But most of the time, the Case will just lay on the bottom of the Chamber and be slightly skewed from the CenterLine.

quote:
I'm having good results from using Lee Collet Neck Sizers and for moving the shoulder back a Redding Body Die but the adjustment at the critical points between the measurements in your example of x.x54" and x.x51" are miniscule and hard to get exactly there without bypassing it.
I agree. That is why a person needs to go slow when he is adjusting this measurement. It is easy to get in a hurry and adjust the FL Die in too far, too quickly.

Knowing it is generally a "One Time" Set-Up, helps slow a person down. If they realize they are in a hurry, the results might not be what they want.

quote:
The Stoney Point Head and Shoulders Gauge I'm using can be inconsistent and I wonder if there is a better tool?...
I agree completely. I know some folks love them, but the Reloaders I personally know have experienced the same inconsistency as you. Therefore, we just don't use any aftermarket gauges and go by the "feel" of the Bolt closing.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Okay

So, on a 30-06 non belted case, with a push feed, the way I'm reading this is that in a new case or a full sized case the headspace between the bolt and the casehead is created by the extractor pushing the case forward till it touches the shoulder?

And on a controlled round feed the casehead is held between the casehead holder on the bolt and the bolt face, so if that is tight, there is no headspace.

Now on a PFLR case or a Neck sized only case there is no headspace?

Thanks for your patience, Hot Core, and I've almost got this headspace thing sorted out, just missing a few pieces. bewildered

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, your welcome.

quote:
...So, on a 30-06 non belted case, with a push feed, the way I'm reading this is that in a new case or a full sized case the headspace between the bolt and the casehead is created by the extractor(Edit to read Ejector) pushing the case forward till it touches the shoulder?
The Spring loaded Ejector pushes the Case away from the Bolt face. The Ejector pushes on the Case and if it's Spring is strong enough to overcome the loaded Case weight, it will push against the Case head in that one small spot and "skew" the Case slightly in that direction. Thus skewing the CenterLines slightly.

quote:
And on a controlled round feed the casehead is held between the casehead holder(Edit to read the Extractor) on the bolt and the bolt face, so if that is tight, there is no headspace.
If as you described it this was the situation, the Headspace would actually be between the datum point on the Case shoulder and the datum point on the Chamber shoulder.

However, that is not the way the rifle should be designed. Due to varying thickness in the Case "rim"(that the Extractor pulls against to remove a Case from the Chamber) the Extractors are designed with a slight bit of extra space so all brands of cases will function through them, even if their rim is a bit thick.

quote:
Now on a PFLR case or a Neck sized only case there is no headspace?
A properly P-FLRed case will have either Zero Headspace or normally has a slight "crush fit". The "crush fit" could be thought of technically as an Interference Fit.

A Neck Sized case "might" have Zero Headspace or it might not. It normally takes a couple of firings for the Case shoulder to move forward and not "Spring Back" as far as it originally did. That would of course be due to Work Hardening of the Case.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
So

Crush fit means there is no headspace.

Any new or Full Length Sized case will have headspace and possibly be canted off center because of the ejector spring.

You should Partial Full Length Resize any new or fired case that does not exhibit a crush fit, even if you normally just neck size.

Do you think that if you leave a portion of the neck next to the shoulder the fire formed size and resize the remainder of the neck that it would help alleviate canting or skewing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods HI;you are using the Redding body die,it sizes the body of the case and bumping back the shoulder by.002".Your body compares to a F/L sizer does it resize "smoother than standard Redding F/L sizer;can you "adjust"backing the shoulder,using a body die with a neck sizer one can use it for P-FLR,another method to P-FLR...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
rejpelly

I use the Redding Body Die and a Stoney Point Head and Shoulders Gauge to push the shoulder back just enough for some bolt resistance. You still need to lube the outside of the case. I also have the gun in a vise and check the Stoney Point Head & Shoulders Gauge by chambering a case and feeling the resistance.

With the Lee Collett Neck Sizer, it is a system I've grown to like. I now have each in every caliber. Cheaper than buying a regular set and works good.

It does resize smoother because you're not pushing and pulling that expander ball in and out with all that slathering lube in your neck. Makes me sick just thinking about going back to that way of doing it. thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,It makes "accurate sense";I cannot get a collet Lee die for a .338RUM,any ideas which neck sizer can I substitute for it..I appreciate your reply...

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Can you get a Redding Bushing Die. They are more expensive and the one that I got left a lot of runout in the neck, but it is like the collett die in that you don't have to lube the inside of the neck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crush fit means there is no headspace....
Correct.

quote:
Any new or Full Length Sized case will have headspace and possibly be canted off center because of the ejector spring. ...
Also correct.

quote:
You should Partial Full Length Resize any new or fired case that does not exhibit a crush fit, even if you normally just neck size....
I'd say it depends on the person.

A lot of people get by just fine without P-FLR. I've no argument with anyone who chooses to just select Neck Sizing as their way of reloading.

If they are shooting against me to see who buys the BBQ for supper, I'd prefer that they do Neck Size. Wink

quote:
Do you think that if you leave a portion of the neck next to the shoulder the fire formed size and resize the remainder of the neck that it would help alleviate canting or skewing?...
Maybe.

When I re-run the P-FLR vs. Neck Sized tests every 4-8 years, I set my Neck Sizers to only reform about 1/2 of the Case neck.
---

By the way, I do not mess at all with measuring or adjusting for "Run Out". Apparently the Necks getting bent on the case must have something to do with Neck Sizing. Everyone I see mention having problems with "Run Out" appear to be dedicated Neck Sizers. Obviously that is another factor they choose to deal with that for whatever the reason just doesn't seem to effect accuracy on P-FLRed cases, or at least not on mine.

I'm not sure if the Case neck just remains relatively straight on the P-FLRed cases, or if the Case necks still get bent while P-FLRing since I don't measure for it. But it doesn't matter, cause the "groups" are still small, and obviously that is the important thing we are trying to accomplish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot get a collet Lee die for a .338RUM

rejpelly,

Lee will custom make one for you. Inexpensive, also.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

rejpelly,

Thanks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

rejpelly,

Collet Die Set

A Custom Collet Die Set costs $50 per set which consists of the Collet sizer and the Dead Length Bullet Seater, a shell holder and dipper. Maximum outer diameter at the base is .555 and the maximum bullet diameter is .375. There are a few exceptions for the larger Ultra Mags and if interested in those, you may want to give us a call or send a case to determine whether or not we can make them.

If you are interested in a custom collet die set, send payment, and three fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for. We use these cases to determine the dimensions of the dies to be made. Please also send a couple sample bullets, so we can test the dies before shipment.

Lead time on Collet dies is approximately 90 days depending upon our work load.

Our address is:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway "U"
Hartford, WI 53027

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! The price doubled and the lead time more than tripled since I had them make custom collet dies for me. I only bought the collet die; I had all the other.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Collet Die Set

A Custom Collet Die Set costs $50 per set which consists of the Collet sizer and the Dead Length Bullet Seater, a shell holder and dipper. Maximum outer diameter at the base is .555 and the maximum bullet diameter is .375. There are a few exceptions for the larger Ultra Mags and if interested in those, you may want to give us a call or send a case to determine whether or not we can make them.

If you are interested in a custom collet die set, send payment, and three fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for. We use these cases to determine the dimensions of the dies to be made. Please also send a couple sample bullets, so we can test the dies before shipment.

Lead time on Collet dies is approximately 90 days depending upon our work load.

Our address is:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway "U"
Hartford, WI 53027

rejpelly, it is extremely practical that we seem to have an inside contact at Lee. I hope you don't mind my shamelessly exploiting the opportunity... Smiler

I'm not flaming Lee, and I believe in their Collet dies and in the possibility of getting custom dies made. In the spring of 2004, I sent you the $$$$ specified on your webpage (check drawn on US bank), fired cases and bullets to obtain Collet dies for a .257 Wby and 7x65R. I never heard anything back. Do you think your organization was overwhelmed by the fact the order came from Switzerland, or did it just fall through the cracks??

If I was to try again, is there any way I could ensure the order would come through a second time - like use my newly found contact within Lee... Wink

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
mho; http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
email us at info@leeprecision.com.
Try again explaining your situation;they will send you an answer.I will order within ten days,I will help if they dont give results.Lee seems a fine company.Anyone of you having ordering problem with LEE...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just the opposite. I sent for a custom collet die for 223 rem ackley improved. They sent a regular 223 rem collet die and the difference in dollar amount stating that the neck sizing was the same on regular and AI cases. Now that's honest customer service!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mho; http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
email us at info@leeprecision.com.
Try again explaining your situation;they will send you an answer.I will order within ten days,I will help if they dont give results.Lee seems a fine company.Anyone of you having ordering problem with LEE...

rejpelly, thanks a bunch for that. I'll try my luck with the mail address above.
- mike