New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm ultra mag brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have brass that i used new and fired about 5-6 times. i neck sized only each time along with proper trimming. now when i neck size i do not have enough grip in the neck to properly hold the seated bullet. i full length resized and it only helped this slightly. i do not feel comfortable loading this ammo this way. any jarring could change the seating depth and or cause problems. do i need to throw this brass away and work with other brass? am i missing something here and is there a better method than the one im using. i have never ran into to this before and my loads in this rifle are extremely accurate. could the bullets be out of spec? lot's of questions here and i need help.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may or may not help at all, but I went and measured the necks on some once fired Remington 7 Ultra Brass that I had on hand. The cases measured from .013 to .015. I usually turn necks on the Ultra's to .012. If your's are thinner than that that might be your problem. If not? Let me know what you end up figuring out.
What load are you using that's been most accurate for you?..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
On most dies, the case goes over the expander ball and gets expanded. Then the case is pushed up into the die where it is sized down to the correct size. You then pull the case back over the expander ball as it exits the die and the case neck gets expanded out slightly again.

Take the expander ball out of the die and measure it. It should be smaller than .284 so that you have some tension on the bullet when it is in the case. If it measures too close to .284 or larger, put the expander stem in your drill and spin it while using some fine emery paper to "sand" down the diameter. Do it a little at a time, clean it, then check it in your die until you get the tension that you want. Even if you ruin the expander assembly you can buy one from the die maker for a couple of bucks usually.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12712 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles: found my problem on the brass. i was doing too much cleanup on the neck after trimming. i also needed to full length resize since i was only neck sizing. im okay now and learned a good lesson. my neck thickness was .015-.017 on average. i do not neck turn.

loads:

154 gr sst
92 grs. rl25
215m
.28" 100 yards
.45" 200 yards

139 gr sst
87 grs. rl22
215m
.52" 100 yards
.75" 200yards

140 gr accubond
87 grs. rl22
215m
.27" 100 yards
.55" 200 yards

140 gr accubond
86 grs. h4831sc
215m
.38" 100 yards
.80" 200 yards

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the loads, looks like you've got yours shooting great!.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote