Find
Notify
Tools

Load for a 168 in a 280AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted
I got the bug to try the Berger VLD bullets in my 280AI.Only data I found so far lists 58.0Grs. of H4831.Any help out there on anything else?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Gary, you should be able to use 175gr data & work up or drop data for the 160gr bullets 10% & work up. I like IMR7828 under 160gr bullets in my .280, very accurate, good vel. You may want to look into 7828ssc for the longer VLD. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was tinking along those myself but it's good for the ole confidence to hear someone else mention it.I've had good luck with 7828 in the 280 too,AI.is fresh out of the gunsmiths and a whole new game is afoot-I love it.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
FWIW, 57gr IMR7828 under a 160grNAB gives me 2825fps (23"bbl) & on good days 5/8MOA.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I've had the best luck with RL22 and the 160 AB (26" Hart barrel). I won't list the load cause it is pretty stiff but I am getting a consistant 3000 fps and excellent accuracy.

If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet then a slower powder like RL25, IMR7828 or H1000 would seem to be appropriate. Although I would not count out RL22.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra data using their own 168gn HPBT Match bullet list the 2 poweders producing the fastest velocities as RE22 and MagPro. Data from a 26" barrel using Federal cases and Primer WLR.

RE22 start at 48.8 for 2500fps and max is 56.4 for 2900fps.

MagPro start is 51.7 and max is 62.5 for same velocities.

Accuracy load is given as 54.5gns of RE22 for 2800fps.

There are other powders but these 2 are highest velocity.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know someone who is using the vlds with good results unsure of his load but he said they are doing just under 3000fps and it aint a hot load, 26" bbl tho.

vince isnt it a pitty we cant get MagPro here! would like to try some in the WSM

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is looking more and more like one great project.Thanks for all the useful input.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Gary, you can email Walt Berger and he'll tell you all you want to know.

He emailed me with many loads using the same bullet out of my 7mag.

Here's his email:

BERGERLTD@aol.com

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I did that and he didn't have any date for the A.I. He did offer many ideas on working up from 280 data.All in all a plesant chap with a true gentelmen.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, then, I'd try Steves Pages.

Click here for specific data on 280 Imp. 168 bullet. Seems like Re22 is a top choice.

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
It seems that RE22 keeps coming up as a good choice for this cartridge.I'm glad, I've had great luck with it in the standard 280Rem.And to top it all off, I have a bunch in stock.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to try it.

Reloder powders are among my favorite. I cannot remember any time where I've had difficulty finding a good load with 15, 19, 22, or 25.

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I've used Reloader 15 in my 375 H&H 19 in 300 WSM 22 in 280Rem,all with great results.I'm sure the new 280 A.I. will like some sort of Reloader powder.