New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 6mm rem brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any calibers that can be formed to create 6mm rem brass? Just wondering.
Thanks

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either 257Roberts can be necked out and fireformed or 7x57
can be necked down, but factory rem brass with the correct
headstamp is readily available.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons the 6 Rem is such a great cartridge is that it is based upon the 7 X 57 Mauser. Remington really screwed up with the wrong barrel twist when introducing the cartridge, but hey... Big Green is comprised of humans right?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest is .257 Roberts, but 7x57, 8x57, 25-06, 270, 280, and .30-06 will also work. With Roberts brass, you simply run it into your FL sizer with the proper lubrication and likely will not have to do anything else to it (the shoulder will alter slightly when fireformed to the very slightly sharper angle of the 6mm, but the FL sized .257's will headspace correctly on the first firing.

Don't necessarily screw your FL die down to bear against the shellholder. Rather, you should start with a .05" gap and screw it down in increments until your resized brass will chamber without difficulty. This will ensure snug headspace on the new shoulder.

If using '06 based brass, you'll of course have a bunch of neck to trim away, as well as likely needing to thin the neck walls of your reformed brass. It's much easier to use 57mm brass like the Roberts or 7mm Mauser.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I know I can already buy factory brass but just was wondering if there were any others I could simply just run thru the resizer and use if I found a batch at a good deal.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
There are lots, but when you can buy brand new factory brass for around $102 for 500, why bother with "creating" them from something else?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote