New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 whisper brass
 Login/Join

<jd_1>
posted
Anyone know where I can find some .300 whisper brass? ARE THERE ANY GOOD TIPS OUT THERE ON MAKING YOUR OWN? I have never had to form a new case, all my firearms use standard calibers.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of 223 brass that was necked up, though never trimmed. I believe formed brass is available, check out SSK. The advantage of 223 brass, is the shoulder begins aproximately at the case mouth of the whisper, so you just trim, then FL size, the down side is the trimming. If you're going to neck 221 up, I'd highly recomend anealing the neck, and doing it in steps with a tapered expander, say .264" on the first pass, then up to .308" on the second.

My shooting buddy has played with the whisper for awhile, and I can get you in touch with him if you are interested.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
I would give Pete at Quality Cartridge a call they have made odd brass for me in the past. 301-373-3719
http://www.owlnet.com/quality/

Chris

<jd_1>
posted
Thanks guys, dose anyone have some good loads for 180 gr. to 220 gr. bullet weights in this little thumper.
P.S. Paul H (yes) I would like to accumulate as much info. as possible on the cartrige. The rifle I will be using is an Olympic Arms AR-15 with a 16" bull barrel. If you could tell your shooting buddy about this forum or give him my e-mail adress. Thanks...JD

<ranb>
posted
I cut my 223 brass off at the shoulder with a dremel tool, then full length size it in the 300 whisper die. Then i trim it to max trim length. Using an RCBS 3 way cutter makes the trimming very fast. I use 9.2 grains of surplus wc820 (h110) with an oal of 2.25" this gives me 1054 fps with a stdev of about 13 fps in my 18" ar-15 ssk barrel. I use 9.1 grains in my 16" contender barrel. This is with seirra 240 grain hpbt match bullets. Making the brass is very veyr easy, I will not buy ready made brass for this caliber. 510 whisper is a whole other story though, know anyone who shoots 510 whisper?

Ranb

<jd_1>
posted
Sorry, I'm new to the whole wildcat sceen so I don't know many people that own them. Where do you get your load data for the .300?

<ranb>
posted
From JD Jones at SSK, or from the following site; http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/YosemiteDr/quarterbore/300Fireball.html . I used these loads as a starting point, but you are not likely to get 1050 fps unless you use a chronograph.

<jd_1>
posted
Anyone else have any information for me? I also plan on building a bolt gun for this round. I plan on basing it on a M700 action with a synthetic stock and semi heavy, 18" tapered barrel. I think it would be a perfect "truck rifle" for toting around the farm. Any suggestions on a barrel for a reasonable price?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
JD,

Run a search for quarterbore.com, it is a website that had 300 whisper data. As was mentioned, JD Jones created the cartridge, and developed quite a bit of data for it. The 5th ed of ABC's of reloading has data on the round. You might want to try this site http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/forums/ it has a t/c forumn, and a few of the folks on the board shoot the whisper. A whisper barrel a friend has is what got me into contenders, from a 9" tube, and the gun plopped on a sandbag, I had two shots in the same hole at 80 yds, I was hooked.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SSK Industries has .300 Whisper brass formed from once fired GI 5.56 brass for $17/100.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forming the brass is easy. Just lube the cases and the inside of the neck and run it through the Hornady full length size die, it comes with a tapered expander, one step. There is no need to get fancier than that, just start with rem 221 fireball cases. The price from SSK isn't bad though.

Posts: 1520 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I make mine from 223 range pickup brass. I cut the brass at the taper with a hacksaw, trim to length, and once through the neck sizing die. I have heard that its not recommended doing it this way, but it works for me, and is very accurate. Its a bit of a pain, but something to do as I'm watching the Boob tube.

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
i got mine from SSK.all of it was in great shape and loaded well.but it still looks funny to me, with 240 grain bthp sierra macthkings in these case!! like i have made a bad mistake!
muskrat
live free or die!!!!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
CH Tool and Die makes a form and trim die with which you can "rapidly" turn out your brass from once fired military 5.56 or commercial .223 brass. If I remember correctly SSK's brass is formed from once fired military surplus. If you form your own from military brass you will want to get a primer pocket swaging tool (I think this is the best option after having done 5000 cases) or hook up a deburring tool in a drill press and cut the primer pocket crimp out.

The cartridge is also known as the .300/221 (to avoid stepping on Mr. Jones toes) and most manuals have data (as does SSK).

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote