New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Newbie with a question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use the Sharpies or similar type pen to mark my cases for indicating the most concentric part of my load. The markings come off when the case is tumbled. Another way of separating loads in your MTM type ammo case is the use of Q-tips to separate different loads. Just cut back the cotton tips so they fit in your boxes from front to back. I always use a pen on a sticky label to indicate my loads to avoid fading, but in pencil I note which rows, 1 to 10, those particular loads occupy. It's a real heartache to get the loads mixed up. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I've just reloaded a batch of 300WSM and used a sharpie marker to ID which ones are which. ...I'm wondering ...if there is any sort of reason I shouldn't do this?

Hey Collins, Welcome Aboard!

I've always wondered "IF" the various Markers contain any Ammonia in their ink formula. If there is Ammonia present, it can cause embrittlement of the brass. But, I do not know if the ink contains Ammonia.

Even using Windex with Ammonia can get to the brass through the air and create a problem. Had a house blown-up in NC a few years ago that had a flexible brass gasline going to the kitchen stove. It developed a pin-hole(just like a case can develop) and the kitchen began filling up with gas. Once it reached the pilot light...KA-BOOM!

Sooooo, not knowing about the ink, I Color Code the Primers and have the actual Load/Color shown on my Load Data Sheet. The Marks-A-Lot markers I use come in Black, Red, Blue and Green, and of course the "first Test Load" just doesn't get any color. So that gives me 5 options. If I need more, I can get two colors on a Primer.

And once they are shot and measured, the Primer is pushed out. So just in the event any Ammonia happens to be in the ink formula, it is gone.

Do any of you folks who write on the cases notice any "Body Splits" or "Pin Holes" over time with those specific cases?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Yeah, I too mark my primers with Sharpies when working up a load. You can get a big assortment at BJ's or Sams Club. Never had a problem wil the brass. Most of the color comes off when fired. Any that gets on the brass is cleaned off when I tumble.

The problem with "mapping" loads in a box comes if you accidentally turn it over.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Works great, just leaves a bit of marker on the bolt face (I mark the case head), which wipes off with Hoppes or equal. If you don't tumble your brass every time, alcohol will clean it off without abrasive or brass attacking chemicals (like bore cleaners).

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to keep track of loads is to use dry erase markers on the inside of the lid of the MTM boxes. Stays until you wipe it off. Wish I'd discovered that years ago. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, life is too short to dance with ugly women and angst over IF there is ammonia in a magic marker.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Yep, I use the Sharpies to mark cases during load development.

I use hashmarks on the headstamp: |=35 grains, ||=35.5 grains, |||=36 grains, etc.

If there is ammonia present, I don't think any embrittlement of the headstamp area of the case head would ever pose any problems.

And, yes, the stuff does come right off with normal tumbling.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
It also comes off of clean cases with just the lube from the sizing. If not, a dab of Kroil or denatured alcohol takes it off. Been using it for years, sometimes with cases reloaded 30 or more times and never a problem. I believe the solvent in the markers IS alcohol.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote