New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modified Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Remember this question was asked some time back. But don't remember what the answer was. So did any one ever find out what the thread size was for the Stoney Point Modified Cases? And if so, if a tap is readilly available for it. Want to get/or make some modified cases for my 450 Marlin, and can't really see waiting two weeks every time I need to get a different case.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Running a search, I found the thread started back in March. In it Sparticus stated that J&L Supply had the taps, but the Link he left didn't work. Tried every way I could think of to find the site he was refering to, with no luck. Guess the thread is 5/16x36. Does any one know where to get this tap.

phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dug out an old catalog of a place I used to use when I had my machine shop. Rutland Tool, in Whittier CA.

http://www.rutlandtool.com

They have the 5/16 taps in 20,22,27,32,36,40,48,56,and 80 T.P.I. The part number for the 5/16x36 is #2144 0197, for $11.75, listed under Special Taps & Dies. I haven't checked my Stoney Point OAL guage yet, but I'm taking it for granted it's a right hand thread.

Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greyghost: Thanks for the info. I vaguely remember the old post too. I've wanted a tap so I could do a few of my own cases as well. I called them today & they're sending one to me. One other comment, they have a $25 min. order so I had to get a few other things.
Bear in Fairbanks

[ 07-03-2002, 10:40: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear, glad the info helped out. Don't know why I didn't think of them along time ago. It' been 4 or 5 years since I've dealt with them. But used to get all my Machine tool, and welding needs taken care of by them. Real good place to work with, and they cary a larger inventory than most. Get their free catalog, it's approx., 1,200 pages, and the size of a phone book.

Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went ahead and e-mailed Stoney Point, about making me up some modified cases for the 450 Marlin. Told me I had to send them some of my once fired cases. But also told me they had a drill and tap set for $30, so I could make my own. It's not on their web site, or in their brochure, but since ordering the cases anyway, I ordered the drill and tap set too!

Phil

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
"Standard" micrometer threads are 40tpi, which gives 0.025" per rev if this helps any. If you wanted to just mount the internals of a typical Starret micrometer into the arangement.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote