Find
Notify
Tools

Motor Mica
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FOLKS ,
Does anyone know where I can buy Motor Mica ( dry white powdered lubricant ) other than a reloading supply store ? There must be a commercial application for it & I want to buy a one quart / pound can.
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
SOUP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
soup

This is what I use and it works great.

MICA

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand the use of motor mica as a 'lubricant' since it contains about 46% silica and 32 % alumina , both of which are abrasive !!!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, it could be that I've never applied/used motor mica correctly, but it has NEVER worked as a lube for me.

Matter of fact, the few times I've tried to use it all ended up with me swearing over a die with a case stuck in it.

Maybe that's why it has been over 25 years since I last attempted to use it...still have the original can of it, which I got from Brownell's in the early 60's. Keep it as a reminder that not everything performs for everyone just exactly as it is hyped to do. And that I obviously don't know everything...........it's a great"humbler".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can order at Ballistic Products Inc. A little goes a very long way. I use it to dust my loaded rounds while in the ammo box. The reason that when I go into the field I try to remove all the petroleum lube from my action so as to not accumulate any dust or dirt. The lightly dusted bullets feed extremely well. This is also a good idea in cold extremes since petroleum lube can get a little sticky.
That is my thing and the next guy may think is crazy. Works for me.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
You can order at Ballistic Products Inc. A little goes a very long way. I use it to dust my loaded rounds while in the ammo box. The reason that when I go into the field I try to remove all the petroleum lube from my action so as to not accumulate any dust or dirt. The lightly dusted bullets feed extremely well. This is also a good idea in cold extremes since petroleum lube can get a little sticky.
That is my thing and the next guy may think is crazy. Works for me.

www.ballisticproducts.com

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I use it as inside neck lube when neck sizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is also very good in shotshell reloading. I have used it for years. I keep one of those large salt shakers full of it and dump a 25 pound bag of shot into a clean coffee can. I then shake a little Motor Mica on top, then mix it in well. This adds quite a lot of lubricity to the shot. Even the stuff thats already graphite coated. The shot "flows" much better thru the reloader. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
...it has NEVER worked as a lube for me....
Same as AC. I've tried it as a "Neck Lube" and the only thing I noticed it doing was filling the inside of the Die with the Mica. Only used it on a few(100?) Cases and went right back to the good old Lube on the Plastic Neck Brush. Easy to feel that the "normal Case Lube" made a significant difference when resizing.

quote:
Originally posted by mete:
...it contains about 46% silica and 32 % alumina....
Thank you Mete! I was not aware of that and I really should have paid more attention to what it is actually made of.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA sells "Pure Ground Mica." I've used it with great success for lubricating case necks for years. A 4 oz bottle will last a lifetime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Ballistic Products , still on my first can.

Works slick ( pun ) on shotshell wads , shake & bake style in a 1 GAL. Ziplock bag. It seems to reduce fouling from melting high velocity plastic wads. 1500+ FPS and zero wad fouling with LONGSHOT loads.

Absolutely NO good as a case lube for sizing rifle stuff . Don't even try it.

Travis F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBF:
Absolutely NO good as a case lube for sizing rifle stuff . Don't even try it.
Travis F.

Well Travis I’m going to respectfully disagree with you. I have used it successfully to form case necks on three calibers .284 to 6MM/284, 8MM Magnum to 7MM STW and 8MM Magnum to .358 STA. You don’t wind up with that dimpling on the shoulder like you can with too much lube.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I agree with you. It works well as an inside neck lube and allows the expander button to pass freely without the risk of any powder contamination. As a resizing lube, forget it. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote