New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Session....300WM,130gr TTSX's and RL15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the first rifle I ever bought myself back about 14 years ago. It was a Remington ADL Synthetic for $329.....It's seen some upgrades since then including a major overhaul by Remington because of overpressure damage caused by factory loads (before I started loading).

Anyway, when I received it back from Remington I tried a load with 168gr TTSX's and IMR4831......the best group was .9 so I decided to try the 130 TTSX's. I loaded Remington Brass with 64-69gr of RL15 with a COL of 3.340".

I was pleased withe the results as seen below. (I load 4 rounds of each and shoot a sighter....adjust the scope and fire the group)

The 69gr load is shooting .332" and 3,406fps average.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Barnes bullets (I'm a Nosler Partition fan) but I've read that they often lose the petals hitting an animal, if pushed too fast; couldn't it be the case here, a 130 gr out of a 300WM?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
I have no experience with Barnes bullets since I've never used it (I'm a Nosler Partition fan), but I've read that they often lose the petals hitting an animal, if pushed too fast; couldn't it be the case here, a 130 gr out of a 300WM?

The deer around these parts just aren't that tough....Especially with a high shoulder shot.

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Losing petals on the TSX is okay. They become secondary projectiles. Plus, it's much more important to have enough velocity to expand the bullet than not. TSXs work optimally in the 2200 fps to 3000 fps range. Below that they may not open above that they may lose petals. But as I side losing petals is okay. Don't worry about. And I've put them through bones and not lost petals.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote