Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

group problem
 Login/Join

posted
have been trying to get a 30 06 ackley improved weatherby mrk V to group to my liking and keep geting the same result with both h4350 and imr 4064 and 165 gameking, always two holes touching and one aprox 1.5-2 inches all over, most of the time first two in one hole but not always in that order, have gone up and down on loads by .3grns, bullet seating primers etc but just cant get thr�e to group, time between shots 4 to 5 minutes, PLEASE HELP is it just my shooting or what??

Posts: 18 | Location: tucson az | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best guess is that it's a bedding problem. There is a lot of hope for that rifle because two shots go together. Settle on one load and start working on the stock, floor plate screws etc.

Sorry but it's been a while since I had a Mark V so I can't give you specifics. But push on the barrel near the forend tip and see if you can make it move sideways. Does it click or move back to one side?

What kind of stock do you have?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A bedding problem is a real possibility. Have an "expert marksman" shooting buddy (if you have one)try it for a group or two, and see how he does. That might confirm that you are not the problem anyway.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check the scope .

If you have one that you KNOW is good , put that one on your rifle , see if you get better grouping .

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
will work on the stock as sugested, scope was checked (leupold 6x20) and yes other very good shots tried the rifle with same results,, stock is a bell & carson (not very good quality by the way) I glass bedded it and did a little better on my groups, I have the original weatherby wood stock, will try that and see what happens thanks a million guys...

Posts: 18 | Location: tucson az | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are others topics on this forum concerning that particular problem with "Weatherby rifle".I dont think is a bedding problem,two out of three very close,one out of accuracy.Try a different bullet as Speer or Hornandy,boat tail or flat base.May be your load is not consistent,try playing with COL.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you have the stock bedded, did you free float the barrel??
Rick

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote