New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krieger Barrels
 Login/Join

<KING>
posted
I want to buy a Cut rifle barrel for my Lg. Rng. Mauser 98 in 8x57JS that is threaded and short chambered. Does anyone out there have infor. for Krieger Barrels as they are cut rifled? Anyone used them for a Mauser? Any help would be appreciated! I know Lothar Walther makes org. barrels, I'm just looking for info. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Krieger Barrels are single point cut rifled. They are among the very best now made. The three top barrels used in Benchrest at this time are Shilen, Hart, Krieger. Shilen and Hart are Button rifled of the very best quality. I prefer the Krieger barrel because it is single point cut rifled. The single point cut rifled method induces less stress in the barrel when the lands are cut.
Button rifled barrels are by far the majority of all barrels now produced. The reason is simple, button rifled barrels are produced much faster and are extremely accurate when done properly. It is believed by some that button rifled barrels lose peak accuracy sooner than cut rifled barrels. The reason is the lands are pressed into the barrel and not cut in. It is a fact that any given barrel could be a hummer but the chances are much greater with Hart Shilen or Krieger.
In any case should you choose to buy a Krieger single point cut rifled barrel you will get one of the very best quality barrels now produced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All I know is I can't make my Krieger barrels shoot bad. I have one for my 6.5-284 and one in 30-8mm Rem. They are a little more expensive than most, but from my experience, well worth it.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kreiger is top notch. I decided to quit messing around and sent them my Garand match rifle. I had them install a 1:11 .308 barrel. The thing shoots as tight as I can hold. I feel the rifle could shoot 100 10x prone, if only I could get my act together. : ) Kreiger barrels are used by winning bench rest and other competitive rifle shoothers. Spend the money for top quality, you won't be disappointed. No more doubts about your rifle's accuracy is worth the extra money. You can't go wrong with an outstanding company like Kreiger.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Kreiger barrels enjoy an excellent reputation amongst the Service Rifle shooters as well. Great barrels...

<KING>
posted
Thanks for the info on Kreiger barrels. Could any brainiacs out there help a reloader decide on twist? Round is: 8x57JS w/180 to 200 gr bullet. N150 seems to work the best. Need twist and length info. Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm quite sure the lands are whats left after the grooves are cut.
I've only heard possitive comments about their products, but I don't subscribe to their notion stainless becomes weak in very cold weather. Plenty of stainless guns are used in Alaska, and nary a blown stainless gun known, directly contributed to the cold that I'm aware of. I own two, and preparing to do another, and I'm not too concerned with it. ~~~Suluuq

[This message has been edited by Rusty Gunn (edited 04-30-2002).]

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I have a Krieger, and it is great!

I also have a cutrifle barrel from www.cutrifle.com that can't be beat.

K&P in New Mexico also has a good reputation for cutrifled barrels.

I like the cutrifled better than button-rifled barrels, but Saeed reports that the best button-rifled barrels (Hart, Lilja, Shilen) are just as good. He has seen hundreds more than I have!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieger's are superb. I've worn out two on my match guns. Two things: They provide barreling services with their rifle barrels...use it! They do absoultely first rate machine work. Secondly, regarding you twist rate...call them and ask. They will know what the optimum twist is.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote