New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester USA (White Box) .223 Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just started using these in my Ruger MKII in .223 and they shoot great. The box claims 3600fps, has anyone used a chrony on these to verify velocity? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't chronied them either, but they shoot really well in my M700 Varmint in .223. Hard to beat the price - I can't reload .223 for the price of this factory ammo, plus I get those nice Winchester cases to bring home... Great stuff.

Only thing, they have not worked quite as well as some bullets I have tried on PDs. No "blow up"/"throw them in the air" effect (sorry to be gory).

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran them through a corny and got 10 shot average of 3400 fps out of my Encore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of my Cooper Mod 21, 24" tube, they averaged 3460fps. They will stay around 0.75" for a 5-shot group (100yds), great for "cheap" factory ammo. Reloading is still cheaper and more accurate for my rifle, but it's great to know something that good (price and accuracy) exists.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know the difference between the "White Box", 40 round per box, .223 Rem, 45 grs HP:
White Box .223 ammo

And what sounds like exactly the same ammo, but in 50 round boxes:
50 round per box

Any difference in the actual ammo??
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are exactly the same. If you look closely, you will see that the part #'s are identical with the exception that the fifty round boxes has the letter "F" at the end. The F signifies "fifty" rounds.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cool, the fifties box is just a tad cheaper (per round) - about $0.01 . But since I need about 1200, it all adds up ... (Please don't mention the word "stingy" )

- mike

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
The white box stuff seems to be pretty consistant ammo. I can tell you that the same stuff in 22-250 is loaded pretty hot and actually flattens the primer in my Ruger, so I am sure they load the 223 pretty hot. If you wanna shoot some cheap 223 ammo try back hills reman ammo. I shoot the 52 smk black hills ammo, you get 50 rounds a box instead of 40 with the white box stuff for about the same price, also another good one is the ultramax ammo that uses a 50 nosler BT. it is a bit more expensive but i like the performance of the bullet. The ultramax stuff I think is made by black hills. This is the way to go if you don't reload, this stuff shoots well enough for me reloading is a waste of time

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I haven't verified the velocity but this stuff shoots 1/2" groups in my Ruger depending on the lot. The best being 3/8" and the worst about 3/4". Pretty darn good for such inexpensive ammo.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote