THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Best Bullet Jump (Hunting/Target)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please bear with me as I know I have asked similar questions in the past in this forum. The truth is, I am still somewhat confused when it comes to determining the best overall length of a cartridge.

Questions:
How do you determine the best (most accurate)overall length for a hunting cartridge/gun?
How do you determine the best (most accurate)overall length for a target cartridge/gun?

[ 09-12-2002, 21:01: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is no single answer.

If you look back a week or so, you can see a thread where I was beating myself up trying to get a Whelen to shoot. The solution was to seat about a quarter inch off. The round needed more neck tension to stay consistent.

In benchrest, most competitors jam into the lands. In service rifle / high power competitions, maximum magazine length comes into play.

Generally, the advise is to "seat out as far as the magazine allows", and usually that is sound. Unless, as in the case with my Whelen, it isn't. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
One thing on seating bullets that I believe is noteworthy is the fact that Barnes bullets should not be seated just off the lands as suggested with other bullets. Their solid design is known to cause extreme pressure jumps under those circumstances and thus they require a little jump to the rifling. Barnes reccomends a .050 jump with their x's. This may have something to do with the difficulty many have expressed getting accuracy from barnes bullets.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote