THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Hodgdon 4895 reduced load -- preliminary report

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hodgdon 4895 reduced load -- preliminary report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a lot of fun in that, isn't there Dutch??!

That was my motivation for starting playing with those Blue Dot loads. I found more consistency than I did with H 4895.

But I also found out that if one does a 75 % instead of a 60 % load with H 4895, that I had a lot more consistent accuracy.
It was amazing in the 30/30 loads I put together. Grouped like a bolt action rifle.

Have fun with it, they grow up way to fast don't they.

Blue Dot loads, with 55 gr FMJ is a real cheap way to get them going on prairie dogs and sage rats. I have down loaded stuff to equal a 22 mag and it is even cheaper and much more accurate than a 22 mag. a 22/250 has the same potential.!

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Report is as expected:

Reduced loads in 270 using the Hodgdon "60% of maximum" rule for H4895 work like a charm, even for my 11 year old.

Muzzle report is relatively mild, recoil is very manageable, accuracy is plenty good enough for offhand plinking. Barrel heating is considerably less, I would say much less than half. The barrel stayed plenty cool for the kid to keep plinking.

Also as expected, an 11 year old with a rifle, a bunch of clays at 50 yards and plenty of ammo is a sight to behold.

Also as expected, an 11 year old boy will try anything. Even shooting dad's 35 Whelen (he doesn't know I slipped in a reduced load for him). Thinks he's pretty hot stuff, now! Ready for elk season.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yup. No question who had more fun, Dad or the son!

His first centerfire gun was a 223 with 10 gr. of Bluedot and 55 gr. bulk fmj's. That's about as cheap as I can build a load, but still accurate, and still a "real gun". Teaches good habits.

However, a 223 isn't too good of an elk gun, so it was time to step up to a "big gun". The lucky bugger will be in elk camp on his birthday, with a tag in his pocket. I doubt I will have to wake him up that morning (he's already planning where to hang the antlers of the 7x7 he will surely shoot, opening morning).

This is the best part of being a parent! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote