New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 caliber 120g Hornady for deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used this bullet for deer-sized game in a 25-06 or smaller cartridge?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have killed a number of deer with a 25/06 IMP. and a .257 Roberts using 120 gr. bullets of many Manufacturors. The .257 was more consistant as a quick killer. The 25/06 was terribly inconsistant. This was all do to bullet construction.A large 4 pt. Mule deer ( Western count) was hit with factory ammo 120 gr.low and just behind the right shoulder. If the bullet had penetrated as it should have it would have taken out the heart and lungs. It came apart and caused a heck of a wound. We found that buck, still alive,but unable to move about 6hrs later.
On another occasion I hit a buck with a Texas heart shot.The shot was a perfect anal bullseye.The 120 grain bullet angled upward, nick the spine and came apart. The animal was paralysed in the rear section and was trying to pull himself along with his front legs. I stopped using that rifle for hunting right than.
If either of these two animals had been hit with a 170 grain bullet from a 30-30 in the same manner they would not have suffered as these did. Granted that today we have a better selection of premium bullets but is the one you asked about in that catagory? If not I suggest you think about it twice or more.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My wife shoots a .257 Roberts. I handloaded some 120 grain Hornadys that she's used on one small mule deer buch and a very large cow oryx. This bullet works really great on the smaller game, and didn't do too bad on the oryx, though I would err on the side of a premium bullet in the future for larger game than deer. For game up to 250 pounds or so, the 120 grain Hornady will get the job done.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote