New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag and AA8700----wow accurate!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wisconsin whitetail isn't too far off and I wanted to find a slowed down load for my tikka t3 that won't blow the heck out of a deer at our normal 50 yd shooting in the brush.
A little research showed that 80 grains AA8700 under a 180 grain would give me a case full of powder and somewhere between 2500 fps and 2700 fps depending on the source.
I loaded up that load under a 180 hornady spbt and headed to the range. It clocked 2500 fps which makes it a perfect match to a 308. The neat thing was it drove bullet on top of bullet at 100 yds. I adjusted my 3-9 ballistic plex to be 1" high at 100....the second hash mark was dead on at 200 and the 3rd was good enough at 300 that I broke 2 out of 3 clay birds laying on the berm.
The other surprising thing was I was expecting really really sooty case mouths with this slow powder but they were actually fairly clean. Anyhow if anyone else is looking to "recalibrate" a 300 win mag into a close range "meat preserver" this could be it.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People miss a lot in not loading down some of the big 30 cal magnums. Kinda opens up a new perspective for big rifles calibers. Most are trying to squeeze ever ounce of velocity they can. You can make that 300 Winchester a 308 pretty easy but you will never make a 308 a 300 Winchester. You should try 50 to 54 grains of IMR-4064 with 150gr bullets in the 300 Winchester.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Wisconsin whitetail isn't too far off and I wanted to find a slowed down load for my tikka t3 that won't blow the heck out of a deer at our normal 50 yd shooting in the brush.
A little research showed that 80 grains AA8700 under a 180 grain would give me a case full of powder and somewhere between 2500 fps and 2700 fps depending on the source.
I loaded up that load under a 180 hornady spbt and headed to the range. It clocked 2500 fps which makes it a perfect match to a 308. The neat thing was it drove bullet on top of bullet at 100 yds. I adjusted my 3-9 ballistic plex to be 1" high at 100....the second hash mark was dead on at 200 and the 3rd was good enough at 300 that I broke 2 out of 3 clay birds laying on the berm.
The other surprising thing was I was expecting really really sooty case mouths with this slow powder but they were actually fairly clean. Anyhow if anyone else is looking to "recalibrate" a 300 win mag into a close range "meat preserver" this could be it.

Try that load with 180 gr Round Nose bullets, it really works great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote